• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pressure gauge for king keg barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! So all we'd need then would be some sort of female to female 1/8 bsp connector with seals. [emoji106]

Hi!
My pressure gauge is 1/8 BSP male, so I plan to screw it directly into the thread on the bulkhead fitting (using PTFE tape if necessary) once the fitting is snug on the PB - I don't think a connector will be needed.
I'm using the S30 valve - I haven't tried the Schraeder valve method yet.
Colin

Just perusing Schrader convert bits on eBay and seems I can get a tailed screw on brass converter for £1.99. Just a matter of cutting off the lever type end and jubilee clipping the tailed convert on the end

Hi all, my first post and I am new to brewing.

I have been investigating putting pressure gauges on king keg barrels following advice from this forum which states it is important to ensure positive (CO2) pressure at all times in the barrel during conditioning and consuming.

I had a look at the various custom built options online which looked expensive and all seemed to be a bit crude (PTFE tape, large fittings, mutliple connections, etc.).

I have subsequently had a play around with various fittings from ebay in order to achieve a permanent, low cost pressure gauge in a king keg lid and have succeeded.

The main points to remeber are the different fittings and how they work, e.g.:

BSPP (British Standard Pipe - Parrallel)
BSPT (British Standard Pipe - Tapered)
NPT (National Pipe Thread)

The main thing to take away is that NPT will not form a seal with BSPP or BSPT without PTFE (as the thread shape is not compatible). A lot of the barrel gauges available seem to have NPT fittings going into BSPP fittings and subsequently a lot of PTFE tape.

Also worth noting is that BSPT will fit into a BSPP AND a BSPT fitting and create a seal (two turns, dont overtighten, etc.)

Thus the only components required to add a pressure gauge to a king keg (or any other) barrel is a BSPT pressure gauge and a BSPP or BSPT 'bulkhead fitting'.

e.g. from ebay:

Pressure Gauge 50mm Dial 1/8 BSPT Vertical 15 PSI
Nickel Plated Brass BSP Bulkhead Fitting (1/8)

That is GBP6.95 + GBP3.12 = GBP10.07 delivered at time of writing

The 1/8" fittings obviosuly require a smaller hole - it can be done with 1/4 gauge and bulkhead fitting etc.

Also needed is a washer - a spare washer from an S30 fitting will work, or:
10 x S30 CO2 homebrew Injection Valve Washers

and if you dont have something to make a hole you could get something like:
Large Cone High Speed Steel Step Hole Cutting Drill Bit Set Cutter

Hope this helps someone. Photo attached...

1497887038101.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back