Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice stuff brew short to 21l, add 250g of dme, dry hop for 5 days with 30g or so of Ekg. I switch the yeast to S-04 and ferment St 20. Well established tweak and works really well.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Mattwaddy
Definitely need to substitute the yeast to avoid a stuck primary. Try Wilko Ale Yeast (alias a Nottingham), or a GV12. Or, since this kit may turn out slightly sweet, if you prefer a slightly drier beer any higher attenuating ale yeast would suit.

Nice stuff brew short to 21l, add 250g of dme, dry hop for 5 days with 30g or so of Ekg. I switch the yeast to S-04 and ferment St 20. Well established tweak and works really well.

I'd second this tweak as being very good ... although the last few I've done have used Cascade instead of EKG and Gervin yeast and I have been most certainly pleased with the outcome.

I'd second this tweak as being very good ... although the last few I've done have used Cascade instead of EKG and Gervin yeast and I have been most certainly pleased with the outcome.

Got some cascade in the freezer so might have to give this a try at some point. Problem with this hobby is having too much beer to drink!

Got some cascade in the freezer so might have to give this a try at some point. Problem with this hobby is having too much beer to drink!
I've done this too. Give it a while longer in the bottle and the hops mellow nicely.
I know this is contra to popular thought, but trust me, the Wherry with Cascade I made last summer, that I am now getting around to drinking is lovely!
I spent all of last year loading up. 2 brews on the go all the time. I now have hundreds of bottles of beer, all over 6 months old, All damn tasty. Most have lost a lot of the "home brew twang" too. For example a standard "bitter" kit in a bag from The Range tasted okay to poor when it was first bottled. It now tastes like it is from the pub. Still a standard bitter, so no prizes for complexity, but it does taste good.

This is exactly where I want to be, im slightly jealous. although saying this I have 70 odd bottles ready but half of this (a tweaked coopers ale) needs at least two more weeks before its reached its peak.
put by the wherrys bitter today, like Klaus says I never considered it but at £16 who can argue? plus ive seen some good youtube vids on it where the kit comes out better than the store bought bottles! whats that all about?

Exactly what I did. I was finding Wherry somewhat boring after many brews. Thanks for posting.

Gone back to making kits after doing AG for a while so got another one of these on the go.

Ordered some Amarillo and Citra last night to dryhop it with, as well as brewed it short to 20l.

Looking forward to getting it in the bottles

I never considered the Wherry until I saw in my local Wilko. It had been reduced to �£16 from �£20 which is very good value. Considering Wilko cans are �£10 each! So more to brew....
Bought 2 Werry kits in Wilco's yesterday saving me eight quid. Then I blew the £8 on another brew bucket...well....it was easier to carry the kits back to the car in it...

I got the bucket too. I'm just hoping when I pierce the lid hole marking for the airlock I don't split the lid.
how you gonna do yours? I'm thinking a Phillips

I can safely say after a year in the bottle this beer just gets better. Don't get me wrong it was nice after 3 months, and 6 months but 1 year oh yer! The flavor gets richer and has really good body to it.

Marcarm

I didnt think you went back to kits after AG brewing :)

Not through choice you understand.

It's more I was unable to find the time due to family circumstances so hardly ever got round to it. With young kids etc it brew day got in the way of everything so instead of giving up completely I've gone back to kits. I can spare th time to make a kit up these days!

I will go back to AG, well BIAB one day when the kids are a bit older, need a new boiler as sold my Buffalo but am happy with the kits for the time being.

My hops for the Wherry turned up today. Got 20g Citra and 50g Amarillo to use. Not sure on how much of the Amarillo to use. Will probably use all of the Citra and I'm thinking half the Amarillo unless anyone thinks it's too much/not enough. Will be dry hopping for 5 days as I want a nice punchy aroma

I got the bucket too. I'm just hoping when I pierce the lid hole marking for the airlock I don't split the lid.
how you gonna do yours? I'm thinking a Phillips

A Phillips would do it I guess, but I'm lucky enough to be the proud owner of a set of drills. So I plan to drill a hole in it of the right size.

I've got an unusual one I'm planning on using from a ten litre wine FV I've not used yet. ill try sending a pic. its another couple of centimeters wider than the traditional ones. its like half grommet half bung. hoping it does the job.

I've got an unusual one I'm planning on using from a ten litre wine FV I've not used yet. ill try sending a pic. its another couple of centimeters wider than the traditional ones. its like half grommet half bung. hoping it does the job.

I'm intrigued. What are you planning exactly? My plans for the wherry kits still in the planning stage, but I like the sound of the tweak mentioned by Demig back down this thread. Got 3 other kits to do before I tackle the bargain Wherries

Latest posts

Back