Coopers Original Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, as I've mentioned on the "kits to brew before going AG" thread, I've just (well, last night) had the first bottle of my stout.

And it's bloody lovely.

Decent coffee-coloured head that lasts to the bottom of the glass, as does the fizz, and a great smooth but complex flavour. Admittedly I brewed it with 500g dark DME, a tin of black treacle and a big jar of golden syrup, but it really is gorgeous.

It was in warm storage for two weeks and cooler for 1 week so far, and I fridged this one for 48hrs before serving. Had it not been bedtime when I'd finished it, I'm sure more would have sunk.

Highly recommended.

Guys,

I picked up a Coopers Stout kit today from Wilcos - First kit I've bought in a while as I've been doing AG for the last 11 brews.

I have to hand:

1 can of treacle (454g)
1Kg of BKE
1Kg of Molases
1Kg of Brewing Sugar
Plenty of normal granulated sugar

What would be the best combination utilising some of what I have? I intend to pitch some reclaimed S04 from the previous brew rather than using the supplied yeast.

I do have things like coffee, etc but don't want to be "too" adventurous with my first forays into Stout - this is mostly about seeing if I like it (but making it as best as poss) before attempting an AG version. I'm typically a lager drinker but don't mind the odd pint of Guiness or Murphys during the colder months.

I would use the BKE in the primary then treacle at bottle/barrel stage. Also the kit yeast is pretty good and usually goes off like a rocket.

Eric_S said:
Guys,

I picked up a Coopers Stout kit today from Wilcos - First kit I've bought in a while as I've been doing AG for the last 11 brews.

I have to hand:

1 can of treacle (454g)
1Kg of BKE
1Kg of Molases
1Kg of Brewing Sugar
Plenty of normal granulated sugar

What would be the best combination utilising some of what I have? I intend to pitch some reclaimed S04 from the previous brew rather than using the supplied yeast.

I do have things like coffee, etc but don't want to be "too" adventurous with my first forays into Stout - this is mostly about seeing if I like it (but making it as best as poss) before attempting an AG version. I'm typically a lager drinker but don't mind the odd pint of Guiness or Murphys during the colder months.

Do the lot :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

yeah i've never had anything against cooper's yeast and it compacts nicely too.

I'd be inclined to just brew it with 1kg enhancer and short to 21 litres. that's how I did mine and it's really great! but I'd keep it simple and add treacle or molasses (400g maybe?) in the primary as the flavour will translate over fine :thumb:

Ah - I went with the first suggestion and just added BKE. I did brew short to 20l; I can still add the treacle now if that's a good plan?

OK - I lobbed in the can of treacle as well - figured what the hell!

I used S04 from a previous batch - seems to be slowly waking up - hopefully no big mess tomorrow morning (I've put the FV in a big pot and put a plastic jug over the top).

Just hit wilkinsons again for the free brewing sugar with "any 40 pint kit". This time I got a Coopers Stout. Am guna use 500g DME and a tin of treacle and brew to 21L. :D

After reading all these posts, ive just ordered a coopers stout , and a coopers european lager and 100 crown caps from tesco direct for £28.18, and can collect from my local store on thursday. Will start the brew on saturday and add some treacle, oh and what is dme ? Newbe here :oops:

Dry Malt Extract (also known as spraymalt). If you have a wilkinsons store you can order it there for £4 and just go in and collect it when it arrives. or your local homebrew store will have some. Or maltmiller above. :thumb:

LeedsBrewer said:
Dry Malt Extract (also known as spraymalt). If you have a wilkinsons store you can order it there for £4 and just go in and collect it when it arrives. or your local homebrew store will have some. Or maltmiller above. :thumb:
Many thanks for reply my friend. We dont have wilkinson stores here in northern ireland, but ive just found a home brew shop online, near me in east belfast so will pay a visit at the weekend and hopefully buy some dme, thanks again :thumb:

Has anyone ever tried Holland & Barrett malt extract, & if so does it give the same results as the powdered malt?

it's not designed for brewing hong, some difference in the ingredients. but i've heard of it being used in stuff like bush beer where ingredients are limited, with decent results.

by all means give it a bash, 500g odd each of sugar and holland and barratt malt extract. i'm sure it'll be palatable because you're only topping up the malt quantity, it's already got 1.7kg of extract in :thumb:

As im brewing this stout at the weekend, do you think i should just stick to the coopers kit without the extras? Does the kit really need treacle etc? I havnt tried it with or without the extras, so havnt a clue whats best. Maybe is best to try it "straight" brew it short and judge from that. :wha:

Yeah that'll be fine. I've read several good reports of this kit unmodified. Try following the instructions this time (but brewing short) and next time you do the kit you have a base line to compare it to.

will do mate, and see how it turns out. If i like it, i,ll leave well alone, or revert to tweeking next time round if its not to my expectations. Im very fond of guinness, but i know its a very high benchmark. :thumb:

Well my first batch of coopers stout went in the bin lastnight along with 500g MME & 500g of brewing sugar that i had left over from the WOW brew that i had just finished.
It wasn't doing much this morning but the aquarium heater is having an effect as i have just checked it and the lid is bulging :lol: , the only thing i am worried about now is it going mental and popping the lid off.

Just chucked mine in the old FV too.

500g Extra Dark DME and a 454g tin of black treacle brewed to 22l. Tastes lovely pre fermentation, i hope the taste holds through.

OG 1042 :cheers:

Will start to brew mine tommorow, with the kit and brew enhancer only, and what ive read, that should do nicely, oh and brew short to about 21 ltrs. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back