Heating FV's.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
I'm debating getting a heat belt or heat mat for my 23L FV. Which are better, belts or mats? Or are they just a waste?

I ask this because almost 2 weeks on at 21oC my current kit is still bubbling, my last Coopers had stopped by around day 11. I'm thinking it needs to be warmer, although it diesn't drop below 21oC.

From what i've researched brewbelts and heated mats cause hotspots in the fermenting wort which can cause more problems than they solve so I wrap the FV in a travel blanket when temps start to drop overnight.

I have been having thoughts about heating FV's as well that I have posted in a new thread as not to hijack yours.

but 21c is a good fermentation temp you don't want to get any warmer but in winter you will need to keep it up at 18c which is when heating really comes into play.

The ideal way to control your fermentation is to build a fermentation cupboard :thumb:
The not quite so ideal way to keep your fermentation at temperature during winter is to buy an aquarium heater/thermostat like THIS
They are fully immersible, adjustable for temperature and easily sanitised :thumb:

Latest posts

Back