Damn stuck milk stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
********! My milk stout appears to have fermented from 1.055 down to 1.030, and it's stuck now. Milk stouts are meant to finish high, but I think that might be too high. Everything has been temp corrected from the start.

For recipe, see here - viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37644

It smells and tastes done to me, its not overly sweet despite the reading and i'm happy with the abv - but it does have a thickness to it. I wondered if something was affecting the reading in the body of the beer. Initial fermentation was very vigourous, but then it calmed right down. I have roused the yeast, repitched dry yeast (initial yeast was rehydrated,) and nothing has picked it back up. I mashed at around 72c (too high!) for the first 10 minutes when it stuck around 69-70c after that, so I expect a high level of dextrines.

The only way I could realistically go from here would be to pitch the sediment from a 2L bottle of Santa's Winter Warmer (muntons gold yeast) and see if it takes off again. Otherwise, I think it's time to kill it with k-sorbate and campden to prevent fermentation kicking up at a later date, then keg it and force carbonate. I'd be satisfied with it in its current state and logically, a 3.5% beer with 1.030 sweetness was basically what I was after.

Sooo...what do we think?

Based on you recipe, the lactose will only be responsible for 2 to 3 points of gravity. If your mash started at over 70 C, you might have wiped out all the beta amylase (which produces the smaller sugars) so even when the mash cooled, you were only left with alpha amylase so produced a mostly dextrin wort. The amount of sweet malt you have is not insane. I've done dark ruby which is 20% crystal and that fermented down to 1014 from 1058.

yeah, the lactose was mostly leftover, couldn't be arsed with another bag at £4 so I just mashed super high. It's pretty much in keeping with what I wanted to be honest, roughly the right FG and ABV, albeit accidentally! so, should I kill the yeast and keg it?

Can't speak from first hand experience but if it is what you were after and it seems to have done all it is going to then I don't see why not. I'm not sure there's a real need to kill off the yeast, particularly if you are kegging. It sounds like the fermentation is finished rather than 'stuck' ie there is no sugar left for the yeast to ferment.

yeah, i've never had a problem with this sort of thing before either and the only real difference in my brewing here really is the mash temp and the few points from the lactose - so it must be the culprit. your advice is enough to put my mind at ease!

i'm putting the k-sorbate in because well, it's such a simple step to take on and it'll prevent any potential fermentation in the keg - remember it could easily have 20 odd gravity points to get through if it wanted to, and i've been warned about sweet beers starting up again when the weather gets better - which could be spurred on by priming...so meh, better safe than sorry. really must stick to light beers, i tell myself every time i brew something daft...cheers for the good advice!

Latest posts

Back