ag#12 pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
If the alkalinity test kit turns up this morning I'l lbe brewing my first lager. Also the first brew using water treatment, new hop filter and beersmith software.
Will aiming for 25l.
5kg lager malt
50g saaz fwh
30g saaz 15 mins
30g saaz 0 mins

2 packets of mangrove jack bohemian lager yeast.
Mashed at 65'c.

Will post pics later on :thumb:

First time I've been over with strike temp and had to stir to get it down. Beersmith strike temp was about 3 deg high so will need to play with that.

I'd set the fridge to 12' but theres no signs of activity so I've upped the temp to 14' and will lower it back to 12 if it gets going.
How long is the lag with lager yeasts?

Even though you've used 2 packets it'll probably still be a slow starter and lager looks like little is going on when brewed most of the time ( i would expect 2 days before seeing a head). Good luck :thumb:

Cheers mate I'll leave it at 14' until I do then. Does it need racking before lagering or can I leave it in the same fv?

When it gets to around 1018 transfer it to a clean fv ready for the lager stage . Be careful about splashing . Continue with fermenting at temp for a day or 2 then move temp up to 18c for a few days to get final gravity . When complete over a few days drop the temp to 2c if possible for 4 to 6 weeks or even better after a week at 2c drop to 0c or even -2c for just 4 weeks transfer to fresh fv and batch prime , a 1/10 of dried yeast (lager ) packet may be needed .

good question , the last 1 I brewed I didn't add any extra but it may take some time to carbonate (3 to 4 weeks) .

I'll either give it time to carb up or will a pinch of ale yeast do? It seems a bit of a waste getting a lager yeast to throw most away.

I would just give it time , lager yeast is the better choice and often used in ales to bottle condition so would be better than ale yeast .

I'm a bit more relaxed after reading a few people had said they rehydrated and pitched 2 packets and had lag time of up to 4 days.
I think I worry about it getting going as the only brew I've had duff yeast in ended up infected and poured away.

There's a white foamy layer now so looking good, although it doesn't smell too good.

Sulpher smells are common with lager yeast , don't bottle until It's gone otherwise it'll take longer to go from beer

Had forgot to check gravity, so just done.
Its down to 1.011 already beersmiths predicted fg. The sample tasted bloody amazing albeit a bit cloudy.
I've turned it up to 16'c for a few days, then I'll drop it for lagering. :cheers:

Back