Dry hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Replay63

Reaction score
Hi All,
Quick question, I added 100g cascade hops to my latest brew (Coopers English Bitter) after 6 days. In the past I've only used pellets which end up in the trub at the bottom but these hops are still floating after a week. Do they normally remain on the surface throughout? Thanks.

Yep they float. Some people put sanitised spoons etc in the bag to sink them but there's no need imo. Poke them under with something sanitised and they'll release their intoxicating aromas.

I gave them a stir after a couple of days to wet them, will one stir that be enough? Will leave for 4 weeks in primary.

Nope! 4 weeks I normally leave in primary before racking off for a few days then bottle.

Yes I'd get them out. Ideally you want to add your dry hop about 4-5 days before you rack or bottle. Not only will you get odd flavours if they are in there too long but if you take them out then don't bottle immediately a lot of the hop aroma is driven off, so you won't get the full effect.

Thanks for your help. The brew has been on for 14 days now, with the hops floating in there for half that time. So I guess I'd better get them out and bottle asap.
I've previously made 3 brews adding hop pellets and have left them in for 3+ weeks with no ill effects (the Muntons Connoisseur Nut Brown Ale was superb with cascade pellets and Safbrew Abbaye yeast) but they tend to sink to the bottom fairly readily.

Back