How much Crystal is to much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenivida

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am an all grain brewer and I brew about 19 litres of beer at a time.

I have 5kg of light crystal grains and 5kg of dark crystal.

how much is too much? I tend to add 500g of each to about 5kg of pale barley but i want to brew a really sweet malty Christmas beer so how much can I push it?

Thanks
Jenivida

sorry nbpicklesno2 all is see is two black question marks after the 20, is that 20 percent?

20 percent. I don't think my symbols are working properly on this tablet.

I think this symbolic issue is a problem at the moment. Especially with small keyboards that have to have multiple representations.

Back in beer mode - 20% sounds like the absolute limit to me, as even 10% seems a lot for my tastes.

Since you do AG, have you considered using the mash-needing malts, like Amber rather than just Crystal?

yes I like to add other grains as well.

one of the best beers I have brewed was with the following recipe (again about 19 liters)

5.19 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 81.9 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (100.0 EBC) Grain 2 7.9 %
0.33 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 3 5.2 %
0.22 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (200.0 EBC) Grain 4 3.5 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 5 1.6 %
11.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 7.4 IBUs
11.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 8.1 IBUs
22.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 8.9 IBUs
22.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 9.7 IBUs
22.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
22.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Back in beer mode - 20% sounds like the absolute limit to me, as even 10% seems a lot for my tastes.

Since you do AG, have you considered using the mash-needing malts, like Amber rather than just Crystal?

I'd agree...

I do use 20% dark crystal in one of my milds which I'm not likely to change. But 10% crystal in my bitter recipe created an initially wonderful caramelly flavour which is now taking on a "sameness" element. I'm considering using a portion of amber malt and toning down the crystal.

I think this symbolic issue is a problem at the moment. Especially with small keyboards that have to have multiple representations.

London Pride is about 10% crystal. One of my favourite bitter. But like you say it all depends on your tastes

Breaking_Bad__crystal_meth_addiction_has_decreased_since_the_show_began_says_US_drug_expert.jpg

Latest posts

Back