British hop for pale ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically I am thinking of getting some variety of british ale liquid yeast and use it on an English IPA probably based around EKG.. and then harvest and use the yeast also on an EPA.

However I am not sure what other hop to use.. Looking at other recipes here I see Northdown and First gold and EKG ect...

Geterbrewed do not sell First gold and suggest Styrian Goldings.

I also hear Whitbread goldings are quite different too.. just looking for some suggestions on an EPA. I want to if poss avoid the soil type flavours :rofl:

Not sure what yeast yet either was looking at something like wyeast 1138.

Any suggestions welcome

TIA

You could use pretty much any English hop with EKG. I like Northdown with it, but Fuggles and Progress are often paired with EKG, as is Challenger. Admiral should work well. Or First Gold. Pilgrim maybe.

I would narrow it down slightly to Northdown, Progress, Challenger or Admiral. Northdown is quite fruity, Progress and Challenger are spicy but in different ways, Admiral is kind of marmalady, and nice. Those hops are all nice hops.

Thanks that's something to work with

Like I say for the PA I want to use something different to EKG if I am using that in the IPA.. I see you have a pale ale (brit hop) which uses first gold and northdown.. so since I cannot get first gold I could try something like northdown and say progress together..

Cheers

Bit confused by your OP sorry. Do you want a hop to pair with EKG in your ipa, and two different hops for the EPA?

I think Admiral would make a great IPA. Good bitterness and good flavour.

Not used Northdown and Progress together, but well worth a try. First Gold and EKG are fairly similar, you can sub one for the other in recipes pretty successfully.

Challenger and Progress is a great combo, would work for the IPA or the EPA.

Yeah my OP was slightly confusing basically because I am going to resuse some liquid yeast I am going to do back to back similar styles

an IPA english which I thought I would use EKG for.. I don't have to do that of course. but for the Pale I wanted to try something different.. maybe ill try the northdown and progress or challenger (Ill see what I have)

I will have a play around with the ideas, you have been helpful thanks!

I used Progress and EKG with my English IPA which was based on the Greg Hughes recipe. It seems to have worked very well. I drank a bottle after a fortnight in the bottle and it was very nice. This was a new beginning after some disappointing brews I had - unfortunately 23 litre ones. The English IPA has me back on track. It was a ten litre brew. I think I wrote about it on its own thread, but the recipe was:

2.9 kg MO
73gm Crystal
10l final volume
1062 OG - FG 1012
@60 30gm progress
@45 18gm EKG
@ 0 18gm EKG
US05 yeast.

The strike temp was a little high at 71C so I cooled it to 65 within a few minutes. This may account for the somewhat high FG, but the upside is it has a lovely body and sweetness to it.

I think this will be great in another fortnight. It is a real head spinner at 7% abv.

Latest posts

Back