US05 yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else got fed up of US05 yeast and bottled beers? It doesn't seem to compact very well and all my beers end up with yeast in them, and thus tasting like Wheatbeers....even if I condition them for months.

Nottingham on the other hand is rock solid, think that may now become my go-to yeast.

I don't have a problem with 05 after a few weeks, nottingham is better on the bottom though.. BUT I think 05 brings the hops out better so it depends on what I am brewing as to which I use..

Notty is a good rock solid (so cheap from wilko you can use a fresh packet every brew) yeast. But Covrich reckons it can mute hop flavour/aroma. Give Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast yeast a try too. I've never used it but it's supposed to be as flocctuant as notty and even cleaner than US-05

Edit. X-posting with Cov there :mrgreen:

I am by no means any qualified expert. :) but it was something I have read repeatedly.. and in my experience if brewing with nottingham the punchiness from the hops seems less so, it is there but subdued.. But they are both good yeasts just different in places.. gervin is also under a quid lol

But if anyone is interested a quick google you will see plenty of other forums talk about this.

I am by no means any qualified expert. :) but it was something I have read repeatedly.. and in my experience if brewing with nottingham the punchiness from the hops seems less so, it is there but subdued.. But they are both good yeasts just different in places.. gervin is also under a quid lol

But if anyone is interested a quick google you will see plenty of other forums talk about this.

Personally I've never noticed but I'm not much of a hop head and will always focus way more on what the malts are bringing to the beer than the hops

What MyQul said. I'm an M-44 guy now. Ticks all the same boxes as US-05 and a couple more for me. Some people talk about it having a wee bit of a lag but I find it actually takes off quicker than 05.

Anyone else got fed up of US05 yeast and bottled beers? It doesn't seem to compact very well and all my beers end up with yeast in them, and thus tasting like Wheatbeers....even if I condition them for months.

Nottingham on the other hand is rock solid, think that may now become my go-to yeast.

My experiences on my first two brews would support this

What MyQul said. I'm an M-44 guy now. Ticks all the same boxes as US-05 and a couple more for me. Some people talk about it having a wee bit of a lag but I find it actually takes off quicker than 05.

I found it slow, although that was before I started rehydrating yeast. I've not used it since (for no particular reason).

Never had any problems with US-05.

Yeah I've rehydrated it the times I've used it and it's been going within 3 hours of pitching.

There is not a lot between it and US-05, I've just been happier with my beers since the change and it does flocculate very well.

Notty is a good rock solid (so cheap from wilko you can use a fresh packet every brew) yeast. But Covrich reckons it can mute hop flavour/aroma. Give Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast yeast a try too. I've never used it but it's supposed to be as flocctuant as notty and even cleaner than US-05

Edit. X-posting with Cov there :mrgreen:

+1 for MJ44

if it sees hops it runs the other way! :grin:

I started out with fermentis yeasts but now my fridge is only stocked with MJ M31, M44, M41, M47 :whistle:

+1 for MJ44

I started out with fermentis yeasts but now my fridge is only stocked with MJ M31, M44, M41, M47 :whistle:

I've used the M42 New World Strong Ale and was very happy with it. It hasn't masked the hops, its fairly neutral and packs down like concrete!

+1 for MJ44

The only "proper" (I.e non-kit and non-generic) yeast I've ever used was a Mangrove Jacks and I thought it was phenomenal - 82% attenuation!

I have a GEB single hop all grain kit waiting to be made and it has US-05 with it so I'll see what I think of it.

I do get a bit fed up with US05 taking an age to drop clear and it never seems to stick at the bottom for me so very easy to stir up when pouring, I have used notty in several hoppy beers and if it does mute the hops its not to the point where I would rule it out completely as an option. That said I think this is one of those things where a proper side by side test would be the only way to get a definitive answer.

Might have to have another go with the M44 used it a long time ago in a partial mash that didnt really work out very well (never cleared at all) so havent gone back since, in hindsight this was probably down to other issues with my method rather than the yeast so it deserves another shot based on the feedback here!

I have a packet of Wyeast American Ale 2 waiting to be used in something which is supposed to be more flocculant than AA1/Chico/US05 so will be interesting to see how that goes....

I do get a bit fed up with US05 taking an age to drop clear and it never seems to stick at the bottom for me so very easy to stir up when pouring, I have used notty in several hoppy beers and if it does mute the hops its not to the point where I would rule it out completely as an option. That said I think this is one of those things where a proper side by side test would be the only way to get a definitive answer. ...

Agreed, without a side by side I don't think I will know for sure, but when I do US 05 the hops are always very good and punchy, I find when I use gervin its less so, not to the point I would rule it out it does a good job..

I read a few people done side my side and thought the notty was considerably less. others however are not sure.. so it is just one of them.

the MJ yeast is def worth a shout, whats peoples thoughts on cleanliness? and nuetral? sounds like it could replace 05 easily.

I have never noticed an issue with US-05 and I use it a lot. My beers condition at colder temperatures for longer periods of time, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it?

I've not used M44 but have heard good things about it. Perhaps I'll get a batch in my next shop.

Just to throw another option into the mix - BRY-97. I have packet in my fridge. I've never used it before though. This is also another west coast clean strain. Anyone any experience with it they'd like to share?

I have never noticed an issue with US-05 and I use it a lot. My beers condition at colder temperatures for longer periods of time, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it?

I've not used M44 but have heard good things about it. Perhaps I'll get a batch in my next shop.

Will certainly help! If I manage to leave beers alone for months rather than weeks then US05 will normally get pretty clear, it just seems to remain quite powdery for a long time in most of my brews. If you're storing cooler as well then thats going to speed up the clearing process as well. This is one of the reasons I would love to have another big fridge I could use for cold conditioning/lagering....

Back