What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fancied a Brew Day today and decided to do something simple that would use only the opened hops in the freezer. So bittering with First Gold & Progress (total 45g) and 10mins & 0 mins hops a similar mix of First Gold and Bobek (42g altogether).

On one of the other days I have not been in work this week (chest virus, very topical) I watched a few videos by this expatriate Englishman in Finland. One of his traits is an extended doughing in process with his GF.

I used this technique on a 25 mins mash in of 5.45kg Maris Otter (full grain bill in 19.2L) and the mash & sparge went much better than recent rather sticky ones, so I would recommend it. Got decent efficiency, or so I thought, but I collected a bit less wort than expected and after dilution, got somewhere near the OG of 1.049.

This is the guy - David Heath. Don't remember if he does a demo on this video or not, but it is one of this set.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zrqaLR-5M[/ame]

I think this may explain why I have had some issues with both mash and sparge (hence efficiency) of late. DH identifies the "efficiency sweet spots" as being 4-5kg grain bill with standard "piping" and2.5 - 3.5kg for the smaller bill piping. Worth a look for GF users.

Exmoor Gold as per Graham Wheelers book, second batch using my new (to me) biab equipment. Ended up with 24 litres at 1056 instead of 23 at 1045, all my brews seem to be more efficient than predicted but I've never worked out a figure.

Today was first time that I've treated my water after reading a guide elsewhere on this forum.

Also bottled a small batch of fuggles hopped lager I brewed a few weeks back using up some leftovers, sample tasted good.

I need to get drinking, not Enough keg / bottle space for today's Exmoor Gold so will need to clear some whilst it's fermenting.

Exmoor Gold as per Graham Wheelers book, second batch using my new (to me) biab equipment. Ended up with 24 litres at 1056 instead of 23 at 1045, all my brews seem to be more efficient than predicted but I've never worked out a figure.

Today was first time that I've treated my water after reading a guide elsewhere on this forum.

Also bottled a small batch of fuggles hopped lager I brewed a few weeks back using up some leftovers, sample tasted good.

I need to get drinking, not Enough keg / bottle space for today's Exmoor Gold so will need to clear some whilst it's fermenting.

Not a bad problem to have, methinks :lol:

The Exmoor Gold recipe looks great!

Watched most of his videos. I think they are great and his voice is fantastic. Have you watched his Kveik videos? Really want to try this but lacking the Juniper. Pretty sure he is in Norway by the way. I dough in slower now as well and sometimes I stir the mash halfway through. Cleans up again quickly with a recirculating mash. Nice to find someone else enjoying his work. Cheers Slid

Watched most of his videos. I think they are great and his voice is fantastic. Have you watched his Kveik videos? Really want to try this but lacking the Juniper. Pretty sure he is in Norway by the way. I dough in slower now as well and sometimes I stir the mash halfway through. Cleans up again quickly with a recirculating mash. Nice to find someone else enjoying his work. Cheers Slid

Yes, Bergen is definitely in Norway. Not sure where I got Finland from :whistle:

Currently chilling to pitching temp is the tropic thunder clone of home brew dog winner. Had to up the grain to account for my **** efficiency so was a 9kg grain bill. Got my water volumes all wrong, prob gonna end up with 18l instead of 23l. Will update og when it's cooled down. The ace was filled to the brim with 9kg of grain but mash held fine at 67c.

21 litres at 1072, bang on my brewers friend numbers, really need to try to improve efficiency now, its at 55% on brewers friend

Very simple single hop beer with Polish hop Marynka. 32g @ 69m 15g @ 15m and the rest of the 100g bag dated 2012 @ 0 mins.

This hop smelled OK so maybe being 5 this year should not stop the beer being OK.

Grain bill 5,24kg Maria Otter, 250g of Crystal / Caramalt and 100g Wheat as an afterthought. 25L.

this is what I did to day
Single Hop Series ��"
•Grain Bill is 5.44kg pale malt maris otter
28 Litres water at 70 degrees
•Mashing for 60 minutes at 67 degrees
•Boil size of 28 Litres
•Amarillo Hop additions at 15g 60 mins, 15g 45 mins, 10g 30 mins, 10g 15mins, 5g 10 mins,
yeast is a dry one s05
pre-boli reading at 20c 1.040
post reading at 20c 1050
all went ok I think
now in the fv
so will see how this turns out
it was done with the stuff I had left over

Half way through a American hop charged, French farmhouse saison. Mash nearly finished. Should be able to sparse and get the boil done and in the fermenter before darkness falls.

Hey it's an experiment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Half way through a American hop charged, French farmhouse saison. Mash nearly finished. Should be able to sparse and get the boil done and in the fermenter before darkness falls.

Hey it's an experiment.

I would be interested to seeing the recipe.

I would be interested to seeing the recipe.

Just for you Leon [emoji6]

3kg Pilsner malt
1Kg Vienna malt
400g flaked wheat
100g pale rye
100g acidulated malt

2g gypsum
1g Epsom
4g citric acid

IBU 23
ABV 5.2%
SRM 7.2

Mash Ph target 5.4

Mash @64 for 80 minutes
Mash out @78 for 15 mins

Sparged 5 litres @ 78oC

Boil 70 mins

5g Columbus @ 60 mins
9g Columbus @ 30 mins
10g Columbus @15 mins (plus yeast nutrient and protofloc)

20g mosaic, 20g simcoe, 20g chinook, 20 cascade @ 2 mins

Pitch wyeast French saison yeast 3711.

Temp ramp fermentation from 20oC to 26oC over the next 7 days and leave until complete.

I might drop in some mosaic and chinook into the keg just to give it an extra charge!!

It's an experiment after all [emoji1303]

And today 40 pints Youngs bitter:
+ a can of LME
+ odds & sods (e.g. golden syrup, DME, maple syrup etc.).
+ a little 'syrup tea' of cloves & juniper.

OG 1060 :whistle:

Just brewed a brett saison.
Recipe was based on the Greg Hughes saison recipe.
Going to pitch mangrove jack saison yeast and then white labs brettanomyces lambicus in a weeks time.
Its my first time brewing a saison and a brett beer so figers crossed as it seems I bought a strong brett strain:pray:

Just brewed a brett saison.

Recipe was based on the Greg Hughes saison recipe.

Going to pitch mangrove jack saison yeast and then white labs brettanomyces lambicus in a weeks time.

Its my first time brewing a saison and a brett beer so figers crossed as it seems I bought a strong brett strain:pray:

Love [emoji7] a bretted saison [emoji1303]

Love [emoji7] a bretted saison [emoji1303]

How long do they normally take to ferment out and be drinkable?
Bit of an accident that I'm even making this beer:lol:

How long do they normally take to ferment out and be drinkable?

Bit of an accident that I'm even making this beer:lol:

I've only ever made Brett/sacc blends. I've only ever treated them like a normal beer +1 extra week.

But they do need a few extra weeks than normal to condition. But the longer you leave them the more the flavour complexity increases. It's defo a beer that gets better with age.

You do have to set aside just "Brett only" fermenters and kit though.

Woodford sundew, On the yeast of the wherry, that was on what the yeast cake of the John Bull IPA, and its of like a rocket....lol

That's 3 yeast packs, if this get stuck then it's official kit yeast sucks.

Oh and I managed to get 24 litre s into the Fv som how so added 400 grams honey to make up for it.

Any thoughts on a dry hop for it, have cascade, mosaic, challenger Saaz, Amarillo.

No idea about this beer, but sounded nice.

What do you make of the Irish stout malt compared to MO? Not sure if I can tell much difference.

It's a long time since I've used that malt but like you I dont remember being able to tell any difference.

I've been using the Irish lager malt as my base malt and just adding other grains to it like biscuit and munich to make it more marris otter like, when not make lager ( like) beers. I'd like to try adding some victory to it but GEB doesnt sell that. Overall I'm really pleased with this malt as it's so cheap and decent quality

Latest posts

Back