Hoprocket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soton

some random guy
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a hoprocket to use with my Grainfather and have seen several favorable reviews about there use. (after the hassle of getting fittings to connect it up)
In the reviews it's all about use but no one goes on to say just what it really dose bring to the party once it's been used and the hop oils are in the wort
Dose anyone here use one and how much more hop flavour dose using it put into a finished beer? Are the flavours subtle or is what I would be hoping for a BIG burst of hoppyness? Or dose it just add a bit of aroma to the beer? Could using a hoprocket do away with dry hopping?
We can all imagine what it might do for a beer but dose anyone use one and actually know how much hoppyness dose it really deliver?
If anyone here can help me out with the idea it's worth spending over £100 to add more hoppy goodness to beer I would like to know more

Personally I wouldn't bother, unless you make small batches and can consume the beer quickly.

I am going to make small batches,I have cut down on how much I drink but I do like to make beer and drink it so I am going to be brewing 8-10 litres at a time, enough for me have a couple of pints at the weekend and still be able to brew once a month

Why did you say small batches? Have you used one? Have you more info on on the hoprocket or a link to a website where someone has?

Didn't @Godsdog have one?
Why are they only good for small batches?
They do sound interesting and would love to know more.
I have the randall but only use it to run beer that im dissatisfied in taste with thru it and not in the boil as the OP alludes to:thumb: but by doing that it does make a difference to the finished kegged beer:thumb:

I have the randall but only use it to run beer that im dissatisfied in taste with thru it and not in the boil as the OP alludes to:thumb: but by doing that it does make a difference to the finished kegged beer:thumb:

So even at cold temperatures when bottling or kegging running beer through the hops makes a difference.
How much hop taste and aroma dose the beer take on? Dose the beer lose the hops over time?

So even at cold temperatures when bottling or kegging running beer through the hops makes a difference.
How much hop taste and aroma dose the beer take on? Dose the beer lose the hops over time?
its fair to say it didn't give me what I was after,but I think its partly because I put too many hops into it to get a subtle flavour from it,i alluded to that on a similar thread,youd be surprised how 20 gram of hops in it will grow given the opportunity and freedom to expand rather than be restricted in a teaball or muslin sock,but from my faffing about with it using hops such as citra,cascade,endeavour,ff7,amarillo,id be hard pushed to distinguish any of them from each other sadly:-(
but as I said it does work in a round about way:thumb: but not in the way I had hoped for

Small batches so you can drink them quickly before the hoppiness disipates.
This is what I'm trying to find out do you lose the hoppyness, because to use it when the wort is still hot but not boiling, in a sealed environment the oils are supposed to get locked into the finished beer, but all the reviews say how great and hoppy the wort is but they never seem to update about what the first or last glass of beer was like

a hop rocket can be used for rims during the mash, and as an external hop container during the boil (tho additions are a pita) and as a flame out hop container/extra filter post kettle pre chiller on the way to the FV (pump required).

It sure works in all roles but is bit of a faff, and is something extra to plumb up clean rinse dry and stash.. and if you go the full blitchmann on it with the stand and controller its gonna cost. fwiw mine gets strapped to the vessel with a £shop luggage strap and a 2" thick sheet of high density polythene? expanded foam between pot and rocket..

while ive only used mine post and during the boil, i have the full basic kit (no stand /controller..), and if interested pm me with an offer, its more of a dust gatherer these days as my drinking/brewing has been curtailed due to meds atm..
fwiw you will need a 16A circuit to run the 3.5kw rims element which has not yet passed eu/uk certification.. which is one reason its not for sale in the eu/uk ..

In your post (9) you mentioned about utilising the hops in hot not boiling water, there are quite a few homebrewers who have given up on the idea of dry hopping, the recipe I brewed Saturday called for the majority of the hops to be delivered at flame out. It didn't say what the next step was but I have read Gordon Strong's book Brewing better beer,(if you want to learn more about brewing this is the book to get) where he advises on pitching hops at flame out then cooling rapidly. As I 'no chill' what I did in this instance was held the flame out hops back after cooling for 1/2 hour wrapped glad wrap around the lid of the kettle and left until the morning. I boiled a saucepan of water about 1.5 litres let the oxygen boil out turn off and pitched in the final hop addition into the boiled water left for about 20 mins and pitched that into the now cold wort and then drained to fermenter. First time I have tried this, but we never learn without trying, good krausen this morning and the OG test wort I drank was extremely hoppy, (as they usually are) but I will find out in about 4 weeks how it went.

@Foxy
I have dry hopped and at best it's ok, I'm not over keen when I get grassy flavours, I'm sure this is due more to the cool temperature it's hopped at, and to really benefit from dry hopping it needs to be drunk young
I use a Grainfather with a chiller and as it has a pump it just seems the hoprocket might be a good addition to use to add very late addition hops to get a more zesty bitterness without a green tasting twang, it could better lock in the oils as they would be more extracted into the brew rather then just laying around on it
Another thought on the hoprocket is I can be used as a randell so ineffect it could do away with dry hopping but that then would make serving a bit faffy but good to do now and then

Latest posts

Back