Sterilising

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baker

Reaction score
Hi

Wondering what sterilising fluid/powder you all use. is Milton ok? This is what is used to sterilise baby bottles.

Yeah it's fine to use, just be sure to rinse it well because the chlorine can react with the hops to give a very unpleasant flavour.
Many of us use Starsan which is great because it requires a shorter contact time than Milton, and even better, it's no rinse.

Starsan.

Looks expensive but my £11 bottle is only 1/4 gone and I brew weekly. Bought it 6 months ago.

Starsan's great for bacteria. *hite for wild yeasts,,, I use CELLarMATE 650mg (Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate by Chemisphere uk ltd) tablets 1/2 tablet 2.5l then rinse, rinse, rinse, sniff, as Steve advises. Then Starsan (don't fear the foam!) I use my waste CM to sanitise our loos etc after.

Do not under any circumstances mix chlorinating sanitisers and Starsan (phosphoric acid) always between rinse, rinse, rinse,,,sniff!
CM is my universal cleaner at differing strengths, but then Starsan all the way (without rinsing:thumb:) combined it all works!

I use surface swabs with agar cultures for bacteria and wild yeast detection. After full sanitising (as above) My last swabs were clear! phew,,,

Latest posts

Back