Just dont understand this mashing profile?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schford

N00b
Reaction score
So been reading up about moving on beyond kits...

Discovered BRAUMEISTER and looked at their recipes but now really dont understand it - specifically a mesh programme....

http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/wheat-beer.html

That Recipe shows the mash programme starting at 50c but then doing 52c for zero minutes from 63c on I get - that is on at 15 minutes before on to the next step.

But the first 2 just dont make sense?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers

Stuart

Don't go freaking yourself out looking at stepped mash recipes! Braumeisters are fancy brewing systems that enable you to control mash temperatures. You can make wheat beers really easily with a simple infusion mash at a single mash temperature. What exactly do you want to do?

well to be honest, we live pretty much where they signed the Magna Carta - depending on who you believe within a few hundreds m's to maybe a mile so we were going to throw a Magna Carta party and I want to brew the booze from scratch :-) which was the cause for the research.....

My Wife loves wheat beer, which is how I got to there, but I really couldn't make sense of that....

Read somewhere about 2 enzymes that are active during mashing alpha and beta amylase. One is active at lower temps 50 something deg C and the other slightly higher. The lower temp enzyme randomly chops polysaccharides up and the other goes for the ends of the polysaccharides.
Since I read that, I wondered why people don't do a stepped profile like this more but I guess every one uses cool box mash tuns.
Alternatively, I could be making it all up....

Latest posts

Back