How Long Should I leave My Brew In The FV??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casual Brewer

Reaction score
After taking advice from the forum last year I know leave all my beers for around 10 days in the FV before bottling. However I have started to get my stuff from a new HB shop and the bloke there says never leave it more than 7 days in the FV!!! so bit confused, could do with an update from you fellas on the forum and would really appreciate it if you could offer your opinions?

Thanks

:drink:

Minimum 10days for me in the primary, maximum so far is about 13days - never had a problem so far.

I am now considering a further 7days in the secondary before bottling (as some forum members do) to let it clear quicker - before priming and bottling.

Had a quick skeg at what Graham Wheeler says about it in his book - much the same, it's done when it reaches it's expected FG or has been constant for a few days, he then suggests casking (secondary to let it clear) before bottling.

You could also "double drop" it - after the first 24hrs full ferment (I understand - someone correct me if I am wrong here), drop it into a new FV to leave the initial trub and **** behind (something I will try in a few brews time).

I tend to follow the advice I get on here (after all, your local HBS is a single opinion, whereas you have a multitude on here who will correct any incorrect advice [including mine]) :D- it's not failed me so far :thumb:

How long mine stays in the fermenter is more down to my free time than anything else.

Ocasionally I will keg after 7 days, but only if I'm really happy fermentation has finished.

Normally it's 14 days, I only really have time to do anything brewing related at weekends, so its either one week or 2. I have left it 3 weeks before and not noticed any adverse side effects.

Yep, 10 days in the FV (unless it finishes really quick) I did a Euro lager at around 14-16 deg C before we had the warmer weather and it took 3 weeks to ferment out, but it was probably the best pint I have brewed this year.

I also had a Bitter (Coopers Draught) that took 4 days to ferment out to 1.008 but that was at a high temp, before I got myself a Thermostat for my brew belts, that also tasted good

I read today about leaving it in the secondary FV for a week or so, so might give that a try like guyb

Shortest ever ferment for me was 4 days, the longest was 21 days. All you can really say is, go with the flow, when the fermentation is finished, it's finished, and not before!

Yeast as notoriously bad at keeping a diary and knowing when they are expected to be done by :roll: :nono:

I usually do 13-14 days, mainly because I do the brewing on a weekend and I really don't fancy bottling them all on a weekday.

brew on a saturday normally
so 2 weeks in FV
then rack off to secondary for another week, then i bottle then

I'm usually 10-14 days, have had many finish before that but I like to give them a few more days to it to clear up and for the yeast to drop. Have left up to 3 weeks with no problems noted :thumb:

Funny you mention this. I went to my lhbs today and got chatting to the guy. He leaves in fv only for 6 days. He says that the beer will condition in the bottle . That's providing hydrometer readings are good to go! Great ! Get to drink the beer sooner. I've always given mine 2 weeks then straight to bottle so far but I'm going to bottle my aus pale ale after 9 days and see.

Cheers Clibit, a good read.Going slightly off topic I read the whole link and had not thought about rolling the FV around after pitching.But I spend time stirring my wort vigorously to aereate it so why not try that too.Makes sense to me.

Back to topic.I leave mine in the F.V. for two weeks,then rack to a secondary for a week to clear before bottling.So far this has worked well, with no adverse results.
I can't help thinking that the advice from a LHB shop to only leave for six days, well they would say that wouldn't they to sell more kits/ingredients etc!! Or am I just a cynic?? :whistle:

Well I bought one of their kits. Made to their specs . It's called Cornish surf or something and meant to be a doombar clone. It's a two can kit with their own ale yeast and some hops to add too. I'll let you know what it's like !

Funny you mention this. I went to my lhbs today and got chatting to the guy. He leaves in fv only for 6 days. He says that the beer will condition in the bottle . That's providing hydrometer readings are good to go! Great ! Get to drink the beer sooner. I've always given mine 2 weeks then straight to bottle so far but I'm going to bottle my aus pale ale after 9 days and see.

While that's probably true, it conditions quicker if it's left in the FV or transferred to a secondary. I don't know the science behind it mind but I've read it in a few different places. Also, the longer you leave it in the primary/secondary the less sediment you'll end up with in the bottled beer.

Back