Old plastic, wierd flavour?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battleaxe

Reaction score
My FV was gifted to me by my dad it had sat unused for 20yrs, it's a 5 gallon bucket with a lid from the boots winemaking section...

When I initially cleaned it it smelled musty and stale as you would expect.

Washed and sterilised there was no real "strong" residual mustiness but tonight when I was bottling my beer I noticed a similar mustiness in my beer and in the FV before and after I washed it.

It's not horrendous but it is annoying I'm just wondering could it be the FV or something else?

This brew will be what it will be. I doubt it will be undrinkable, because beer will have been brewed and drunk from much worse buckets over the last few thousand years.

On the evidence of how it does turn out, it may be wise to consider buying a new fermenter?

I had a load of stuff from the Boots Homebrew era, but it all got gradually chucked after the girls arrived 21 years ago.

For the sake of £10/15 quid for a new fermenter from wilkos im not arguing. The boots one makes a good place to store Equiptment because I can clean it all and seal it until next time.

Just wanted to know if it was that or something else I had done to effect the brew.

Tried a half whilst bottling it tasted ok definitely needs time to improve tho (it's a wherry kit).

I have several FV's and the oldest is a boots one. I use it a lot and never had any problems. I also have one that I got about 12 years ago that was a 25L bucket of mincemeat and never had problems with it either

Whoa,, Beef Beer, food for thought, could this create a new trend ? :grin:

lol wrong kind, it was a mincemeat bucket for the little pies you get at Christmas I'm a baker. We now only get little 12K ones so can't get anymore maybe next year i'll try and get bigger ones so I can get some new FV's

Latest posts

Back