Spray malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete_pete

Reaction score
Does spray malt make a difference to the brew? I've never used it just curious as to what people think. Would it make a mild taste nicer?

Yes using spray malt makes a difference. The beers you buy aren't 50% sugar, adding large amounts of sugar to homebrew is simply a cost cutting exercise. Spray malt is just dried beer that you rehydrate by mixing with water. A mild should have a better body and more flavour if you use spray malt instead of sugar.

What @clibit said, using spray malt, liquid malt extract or even beer kit enhancer (50% medium sme, 50% dextrose I believe) makes a very big difference. I think, and I could be wrong, you'll get a slightly lower ABV if you use SME over sugar (assuming the same quantities of course) as it contains less fermentable sugars than sugar but it's worth it for the improvement in the beer.

What @clibit said, using spray malt, liquid malt extract or even beer kit enhancer (50% medium sme, 50% dextrose I believe) makes a very big difference. I think, and I could be wrong, you'll get a slightly lower ABV if you use SME over sugar (assuming the same quantities of course) as it contains less fermentable sugars than sugar but it's worth it for the improvement in the beer.

Yes that correct - Table sugar and dextrose (which is maize sugar) ferment to almost 100%. Malt extract ferments about 70-75% as a rule of thumb. Its the non fermentables in the malt extract that give the beer "body" and some sweetness.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try it next time I do a mild and let u no what I think.

Do. It's a no brainer. Two can kits are all malt extract. You can replicate this by adding malt extract to a one can kit instead of sugar. You can always add a bit of sugar to boost the ABV, maybe 300g.

when using dark spray malt can I use beer kit enhancer as well or is it just one or the other?

Latest posts

Back