Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides > Have a go at simple AG

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 18-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #1221
Mungri

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt_ak View Post
Right - I have my 15l pot.
I have my Bag.
I have the sieve.
I'm ordering ingredients today.
Question - my FV is a 25l, I'm making the 10l version, will it be ok fermenting in a 25l bucket ?
Don't really want to have to order a 15l bucket just yet. Worried there will be too much air in there if not.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My first AG was 5Ltrs in a 25Ltr FV and it was fine. Bought a 10Ltr FV now, for ease of use and so I can stack on top of the bigger FVs.

Old 18-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #1222
pvt_ak

Liked 274 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry - another question. Ordering the malt in big batches is obviously more cost effective .
How long does it store for ?

Old 18-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #1223
JapanBrew

Liked 354 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Depends on how you store it. Dry places away from mice, it'll last a year.

Old 18-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #1224
chub1

Liked 576 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 687

Yup, no worries regarding batch size in FV.
Crushed grain is supposed not to last as long as uncrushed,however some of mine is crushed and have had it some time and i aint slinging it away.
I crush my own now.

Old 18-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #1225
pvt_ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chub1 View Post
Yup, no worries regarding batch size in FV.
Crushed grain is supposed not to last as long as uncrushed,however some of mine is crushed and have had it some time and i aint slinging it away.
I crush my own now.

Great stuff . Daft question - how do you crush it ?

Old 18-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #1226
chthon

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Nice thread, I started about the same way, after doing one kit beer which supplied me with an FV, a bottling pipe, four bottles and some cleaner.

However, I am looking to get people into brewing AG, without having done a kit brew before. What is missing is a simple way or methods to fill bottles without bottling pipe. The intro at the beginning of this thread seems to be built upon the fact that people already have bottling equipment because they did kit brewing. Here on the continent, I have the impression that kit brewing is not as popular as in the UK and the US. Another problem here is that no supplier delivers crushed malt. However, old coffee mills are a good, albeit rather slow substitute.

Now, regarding the brewing itself. With the lessons of Brülosophy in the back of the mind, it would even be easier to start brewing. At is needed is a 10 liter stock pot or pressure cooker. This can be used for mashing, cooking and fermenting. Do the mash like in the intro and the cooking like in the intro, but after cooking and cooling, just dump the yeast on the cooked wort and let ferment for 14 days. This way of working needs two things: a thermometer, and a way to crush malt.

However, after fermentation, bottling needs to be done. The problem is bottling without large investments. Sanitising all the cold stuff can be done with a little bit of bleach. However, what could be used for simple racking? A silicon tube is hard to find and relatively expensive (if you know it will be reused it is of course a good investment). It seems that with racking this way, one needs to take into account more loss than using a proper racking cane.

Any thoughts or ideas on inexpensive, easy racking for bottling? Could be DIY, but not too time consuming.

(And I am here in Belgium, so swing top bottles are easy to come by, no problem with capping).
GerritT Likes This 
Old 18-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #1227
chub1

Liked 576 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 687

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvt_ak View Post
Great stuff . Daft question - how do you crush it ?

With a grain mill. before i got one i did crush some malt with a blender which apparently must never be done. All i can say is i never had a problem with doing it that way!.
Don't worry about storage. Crushed grain will last a decent while provided it's bagged ,airtight ,dry and stored out of the light. I bet loads of people on here keep crushed grains for a good amount of time without any real detrimental effect.

Old 18-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #1228
pvt_ak

Quote:
With a grain mill.
Don't worry about storage. Crushed grain will last a decent while provided it's bagged and airtight

Thanks folks . Can't wait to have a bash this weekend

JapanBrew Likes This 
Old 19-05-2017, 05:36 AM   #1229
brisboy

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
With a grain mill. before i got one i did crush some malt with a blender which apparently must never be done. All i can say is i never had a problem with doing it that way!.
Don't worry about storage. Crushed grain will last a decent while provided it's bagged ,airtight ,dry and stored out of the light. I bet loads of people on here keep crushed grains for a good amount of time without any real detrimental effect.

I destroyed a blender doing it this way. I order mine precrushed now and it lasts at least a couple of months.

Old 20-05-2017, 08:08 AM   #1230
ElvisIsBeer

Liked 194 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Bottled my first AG this morning. The missus came down and said it smelled like a brewery.

I took that as a very good sign.
People Like This