Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > good red kit

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 19-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #11
GDog

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 148

@richytrue and I did a Beaverdale Nebiolo, he's had a bottle, I've only tasted a sample and it's amazing. We racked at 1010.

I've a CC Rojo Tinto (Rioja) bottled too, and initial sample is even better than the Nebiolo.

I'm not touching either until 2 months in the bottle, meaning the last bottle I drink will be substantially older than that.

As we always add stuff on to get free postage from Creative (over £45 = free), I'm going straight for a Kenridge Classic next for £46, so no messing on buying stuff you didn't need.

I make asda red grape juice wine, beefed up with dried elderberries to drink whilst I'm maturing the decent stuff. I've done a few batches, but the one I'm on now (actually this second actually) is amazing, as I left it in a demijohn to clear for a month. There's definitely something about storing this stuff in bulk that changes the taste beyond just having it bottled from day-1 so I'm thinking of moving to BIB's for the Kenridge, as much as I love bottles on the garage shelf.

Old 19-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #12
GDog

actually, one of my bookmarked kit reviews is yours @Vinotinto , and it's for the Kenridge Classic - was it any better than Beaverdale? The wine guru Tony H didn't hugely think so if I remember reading that..

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...nRidge+Classic

Old 20-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #13
Vinotinto

Liked 92 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDog View Post
actually, one of my bookmarked kit reviews is yours @Vinotinto , and it's for the Kenridge Classic - was it any better than Beaverdale? The wine guru Tony H didn't hugely think so if I remember reading that..

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...nRidge+Classic
Personally, prefer the Beaverdale.
GDog Likes This 
Old 20-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
GDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
Personally, prefer the Beaverdale.
@richytrue just text me, he's opened his third Beaverdale Nebiolo experiment and if I may quote him:

1 day - nice, slight chemical twang
1 week - really nice, best wine he's made thus far
1 month - as good as a Wolfblass yellow, and can't see how it can get any better.

(he's a scientific alcoholic, and works in IT - can you tell)
People Like This 
Old 21-05-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
Saltrock
Middle aged member

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The Harris all juice kits are good too. The Cabernet Sauvignon is reviewed in the A-Z

Last edited by Saltrock; 27-05-2017 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
needmorstuf Likes This 
Old 22-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
needmorstuf

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDog View Post
@richytrue and I did a Beaverdale Nebiolo, he's had a bottle, I've only tasted a sample and it's amazing. We racked at 1010.

I've a CC Rojo Tinto (Rioja) bottled too, and initial sample is even better than the Nebiolo.

I'm not touching either until 2 months in the bottle, meaning the last bottle I drink will be substantially older than that.

As we always add stuff on to get free postage from Creative (over �£45 = free), I'm going straight for a Kenridge Classic next for �£46, so no messing on buying stuff you didn't need.

I make asda red grape juice wine, beefed up with dried elderberries to drink whilst I'm maturing the decent stuff. I've done a few batches, but the one I'm on now (actually this second actually) is amazing, as I left it in a demijohn to clear for a month. There's definitely something about storing this stuff in bulk that changes the taste beyond just having it bottled from day-1 so I'm thinking of moving to BIB's for the Kenridge, as much as I love bottles on the garage shelf.
tell me more about this beefed up recipe... after the success of my wow rose and not being a wine snob I am keen to explore how to get a red made up.

Old 22-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #17
GDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorstuf View Post
tell me more about this beefed up recipe... after the success of my wow rose and not being a wine snob I am keen to explore how to get a red made up.
It's not really a WOW, it's dried Elderberry wine which is covered in many books.

Here was my version of it, the 75g berries-per-gallon was the best..

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=68514

It's a bit of a mess on like, with the straining etc, but I really like it.

I've tried using Raisins too, and a batch with currants, but none of them were amazing to be honest.

Old 22-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #18
needmorstuf

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 28

i think i just use the term wow for supermarket bought juice.. when in fact its worzels orange wine... I did subsequently find your thread.. looks very interesting. apart from the wet sock bit ;-0