cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in a word no have you tried turbo cider? its better
5 litres cheap apple juice
youngs wine yeast compound.
nutrient
ferment for 2 weeks at 20 deg c transfer to secondary add whatever you want ie spices etc fruit whatever leave a further week then bottle. Its drinkable in around a month but improves with time. If you want a scrumpy type use the yeast in the bottom of a bottle of westons old rosie. It will need cultivating in a litre of apple juice first

Mark1964's spot on. Turbo cider is easy and great. I've always got one on the go. I usually drink it the way it comes (dry). But my wife likes it sweet. You can add sweeteners like Splenda to sweeten at bottling, I.e. Rack to bottling bucket and add sweeteners until it tastes right, then add your priming sugar. Or a Youngs wine sweetener.
Or, what I tend to do is pasteurise to kill the yeast -Which is a bit more tricky. Sweeten with sugar until you've got the correct sweetness, then add your priming sugar and bottle. Wait a week until it's carbed (use at least one PET bottle to check progress - bottle goes hard), then submerge the bottles in 80c water for 5 minutes to kill the yeast and thus halt carbonation (don't fill your bottles too much or they'll pop). Plenty of YouTube vids on the subject of back sweetening and pasteurising

in a word no have you tried turbo cider? its better
5 litres cheap apple juice
youngs wine yeast compound.
nutrient
ferment for 2 weeks at 20 deg c transfer to secondary add whatever you want ie spices etc fruit whatever leave a further week then bottle. Its drinkable in around a month but improves with time. If you want a scrumpy type use the yeast in the bottom of a bottle of westons old rosie. It will need cultivating in a litre of apple juice first

Will this work with concentrate or does it have to be 100%? Always fancied having a go with the cloudy apple juice from Sainsbury's but never got around to it.....

as long as theres no preservatives and the concentrate is pure juice it will work. The cloudy stuff works fine too. Stemsi if you want sweeter cider just stop the fermentation early by adding 1 teaspoon of potassium sorbate per gallon and 1/2 a campden tablet. Rack off into another vessel and bottle the following week. By killing the yeast off though the cider will be still.

as long as theres no preservatives and the concentrate is pure juice it will work. The cloudy stuff works fine too. Stemsi if you want sweeter cider just stop the fermentation early by adding 1 teaspoon of potassium sorbate per gallon and 1/2 a campden tablet. Rack off into another vessel and bottle the following week. By killing the yeast off though the cider will be still.

Yeah mark1964. I tend to do that when making apfelwein as I drink it still. But like many homebrewers, it's all about trying new things. I've had a few pops while pasteurising though :doh::doh:

Hey Walshman

It depends on the strength you want and the juice you get. I've done a juice only that measured 6.5% ABV and another that measured 4.5%. Measure the OG of your juice first. If you feel you want it stronger then you'll need to add sugar.

I just knocked one up

25ltr of Tesco value Apple juice
4kg of sugar
Half a tub of youngs super yeast
Some youngs yeast nutrient

Will leave it for 3 weeks to ferment out then back sweeten it.

Scaff

I use Splenda which you can get in most of the main supermarkets. I make my cider in gallon demijohns and add to this just before bottling. I usually add around 12 teaspoons for a gallon, but try differing amounts depending on how sweet you want it.

There was a discussion o here a while back about concentrate. ... that's it's basically steamed apple pulp from the left over flesh when apples are pressed. It works cos they add sugar back to it and reduce it down. It's not apple juice but tastes similar and works ok in tc.

Back