Wilko Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Just checked mine...1010, it's quite clear and tastes ok. It is still making the odd bubble through the blow off tube though..I'll check again Monday.

Cheers

Clint

I've got two of these kits (two can) at once (on special).

Firstly I'm relatively new and followed the instructions to a T. Which was a bad idea because I bottled after bout 3-4 days (as opposed to waiting until the gravity fell), also I think I ended up putting in too much water so and mucked up the priming (was adding sugar to the bottles).

I ended up having to re-prime as it was almost flat.

Word of advice, don't add brewing sugar directly to beer that is even slightly carbonated, FOAM!!!!

However re-priming did work and after another couple of weeks it was properly carbed.

I must say I was disappointed by this, wasn't much of a wheat beer at all (not like Erdinger etc.), guess I just cocked it up following the instructions.

With my second attempt I added orange peel (because why not), fermenter smells like fanta now. Resulted in a much nicer tasting beer but doesn't keep it's head as well as the original batch.

Given they've moved to single can kits now I don't think I'd go for this again. I've just started drinking the Festival world beers German wheat and it's a big improvement, close enough to shop bought stuff to be worth the extra money.

Reckon I just cocked up the brewing (didn't leave it to ferment long enough) but it's after leaving a bit of a sour taste (no pun intended) in my mouth after two kits.

Just cracked my first of the wheat....great fizz and head! Lovely aroma...getting fruity bananas...tastes great! Only had 3 weeks in the bottle.

Cheers

Clint

20161003_185850.jpg

Just cracked my first of the wheat....great fizz and head! Lovely aroma...getting fruity bananas...tastes great! Only had 3 weeks in the bottle.

Cheers

Clint

looks good Clint. I too have a similar batch 3 weeks in, I love the white head it has upon pouring. I dry hopped with amarillo and citra and it has worked out really well, very drinkable. :drunk:

I'm starting one of these kits this next week (the new single can ones). Brewing it with 1kg of wheat spray malt. Planning on splitting half of it off when the krausen starts dying down and adoing cherry to it.

Will I be ok just using the supplied wit yeast (6g) or would I be better adding a sachet of wilko gervin yeast too? Or just the gervin?

I also purchased a two can all malt Wilco wheat malt in there clearance section for £10.00.
I dont normally purchase from Wilco, but at that price I couldn't resist it. Anyway I must say it produced a really good beer. I made the wort up to 20 litres and had a very lively fermentation. Smelt like a wheat beer, tasted like a wheat beer and looked cloudy as a wheat beer should. Good head which laced down the glass as being drunk. As with most beers the flavour improved with time. Have stood a few bottles aside for Christmas. As a side note I am also led to believe that Wilco's own home brew beer kits are actually produced for them by Muntons.

I still have a couple of bottles left from the 2 can kit I did. Not much difference to when I first started drinking it three months ago (and still a bit uninspiring ). So for me, you may as well get stuck in early on if it suits.

Hello all
I'm just sinking the last bottle. ...it's been a belter! I've been very pleased with the outcome of this kit....great taste...even my philistine boddingtons swilling friend liked it and said he could taste clove and banana!
The original kit was a two can (which I got for a tenner!)..I think...I'm half tempted to try another but it's now a single can kit..

Cheers

Clint

have just brewed the 2 can kit today to 23ltr added 440ml of polish malina syrup, did a brix and got a 12 ? not sure about refractometers so not sure of og, was going to add some redstar champagne yeast when initial primary ferment as finished using the kit yeast. maybe some drops of nelson sauvignon hop oil,ferment to dry /medium using a coopers fermenter with crousen ring,will post pics on this.

Started the 1tin on NYE,

But I added about 2ltr of boiling water to the fermenter then the wheat stuff, used 1ltr to get the rest out of the tin, while adding the cold I added the 1kg sugar and mixed up to 23ltrs. Added the yeast and mixed again.

Left at about 18 degrees, 9 days when the Gravity read 1012 (ish) for 2-3days (OG was 1044 I think, was a bit drunk at the time).

Mine didn't blow the lid and was very well behaved, might be because I didn't add the sugar last?

Transfered this last night to a PB and added the 85g of wilko brew sugar.. things got lively then! Quickly sealed the lid before all the energy went.

Just hoping I don't go home to a hole in the roof.

Last edited:
If I have read that correctly I think you have put too much sugar in to carbonate. 1 kg seems a lot. I would think 150g would be enough.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Started the 1tin on NYE,

But I added about 2ltr of boiling water to the fermenter then the wheat stuff, used 1ltr to get the rest out of the tin, while adding the cold I added the sugar and mixed up to 23ltrs. Added the yeast and mixed again.

Left at about 18 degrees, 9 days when the Gravity read 1012 (ish) for 2-3days (OG was 1044 I think, was a bit drunk at the time).

Mine didn't blow the lid and was very well behaved, might be because I didn't add the sugar last?

Transfered this last night to a PB and added the 1kg of wilko brew sugar.. things got lively then! Quickly sealed the lid before all the energy went.

Just hoping I don't go home to a hole in the roof.
As others have said you have added too much sugar to your PB and sealed it up. Way too much, by a factor of 10:1. :eek: You will make far too much CO2 to carbonate your beer, and could have a safety problem on your hands.
You have a choice from three options
- rely on the pressure relief device built into the cap to vent the excess CO2 produced; hopefully it will work as intended; it should vent below the max allowable pressure in the PB which is usually 15 psig; you will only end up with highly frothy beer at the start
-release the cap slightly and allow the excess CO2 to escape; when the fermentation has finished reprime with about 90g sugar and reseal the cap
- do nothing and the PB may explode or split if the PRV doesn't work

Whoops sorry! Added 1kg to ferment at the start, then another 85g (just under as it started to foam like mad) into the PB for the 2nd stage! Sorry!

Hello
I got this kit but used a spray malt to replace the sugar lb for lb

Any predictions as to how disastrous this will be?! Ha

Whilst writing my first ever brew was bottled 3-days ago

I added sugar 2:1.... is this likely to be a safety issue or just a Potent beer?!

Hello all
I'm just sinking the last bottle. ...it's been a belter! I've been very pleased with the outcome of this kit....great taste...even my philistine boddingtons swilling friend liked it and said he could taste clove and banana!
The original kit was a two can (which I got for a tenner!)..I think...I'm half tempted to try another but it's now a single can kit..

Cheers

Clint

Never tried the 2 can kit but the one can makes a nice. Session beer. Can say it's impressive but a decent pint when cold from the fridge. Have a few left, but won't last long

I've just bought one of these (they are only doing single cans). I'm wondering if it's worth setting up a new thread for Wilko Wheat Beer (single can).

I'm planning to add something like dried orange peel to it. Any other suggestions most welcome. Planning this to be a 4 to 4.5% summer beer.

Latest posts

Back