How easy can making AG beer be?...seriously easy !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vossy1

Landlord.
Reaction score
For those new to the forum and/or brewing who are pondering about making AG beers but are put off by the process being all too mysterious and complicated have a look at The Back To Basics Challenge which we did a long time ago.

The idea was to make a beer without using brewing software calculators or any form of brewing equipment with the exception of a demijon. Though some gravities were taken, the process and thread shows just how easy it is to make an AG brew.

We are thinking of running this again, post up here if you'd be willing to have a go :thumb:

Count me in, was so much fun last time no worrying over hitting targets or actually what I even made! A 7% old English ale came out and it was amazing!!! Only ended with 4 pints.

Come on folks have a go. If your not an AG brewer and want a go, ask me I have plenty of grains and hops for small batches. Just cover postage and a little towards grain and you'll be playing along.

I may be in, just have to check with SWMBO.
Who does the judging and how?

Andy

Yet to be decided Andy, it's being discussed in the mod area.
This is a thread to gauge interest and see how many numbers will be involved.

Ok thanks.
This could be my easy way into AG.
I've got a couple of good sized pans (etc).

Sounds like great fun but without having any experience in doing AG I wouldn't know whether to add 1kg or 20kg of grain without using a calculator, or a previous recipe. Not to mention the temps required to actually do anything. Even though it's back to the roots experience in AG brewing are still required to meet the criteria of the challenge :)

All the info you need is within these pages.
Look for a recipe scale it down in your head or use a old fashioned calculator if your maths is **** like mine. You don't need to know everything just play with figures from recipes.
And make up your own it'll suprise you how much you learn it going B*lls deep first time :D

You generally use around 4kg to 5kg of grains to a 5gal brew (i think) so just work it back for 1gal of brew.
so your looking at 1kg of grain and around 7.5lt of water to begin with (sorry for using imperial and metric measurements) :oops: and maybe 30g of hops useing 10g at each stage!

Just a thought, im probably wrong :lol:

Muddydisco said:
All the info you need is within these pages.
Look for a recipe scale it down in your head or use a old fashioned calculator if your maths is **** like mine. You don't need to know everything just play with figures from recipes.
And make up your own it'll suprise you how much you learn it going B*lls deep first time :D

Ahh, so we're allowed to follow a recipe? I was thinking it had to be made up entirely.

Hmm, I might look into the cost of getting some ingredients delivered just for the sake of trying it :D

ScottM said:
Ahh, so we're allowed to follow a recipe? I was thinking it had to be made up entirely.

Hmm, I might look into the cost of getting some ingredients delivered just for the sake of trying it :D

Thats not actually a recipe, just a general theme that i've noticed.
You could put 750gm of MOtter and 250gm of crystal malt (or anything) and 30gm or 50gm of citra hops or fuggles and citra and so on and so on!
It's upto you!

Oh yes! I just took it to the extreme and didn't use scales for anything. Just to show it can be done if you know your rough weights.

Don't forget though we're only looking for 4-6 Ltrs final volume so lhbs may only sell you large quantities for what you need.

This sounds very interesting but I think I should learn to walk before running off in to the distance.

I've never brew a single pint before so maybe it's not for me.
And I won't be able to take part as I'm a few 100 kilometres away.

This sounds like a great start to AG brewing for me, does anyone know where I can get small amounts of grain and hopps for this kind of size?

FatherChristmas said:
This sounds like a great start to AG brewing for me, does anyone know where I can get small amounts of grain and hopps for this kind of size?

I'll happily ship out some grains and hops for people, subject to my stocks and your needs. Maybe worth making a new thread asking people to club together or chip in and post out some small quantities for people's.

Back