Using cool box mash tun for fermenting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenmanuel

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 60 litre cool box with filter which I use as a mash tun.

I thought "why not then use it as a primary fermenter?" After all, it is just sitting there doing nothing till the next batch. It is large, insulated and with a filter for transferring into the secondary. All I need do is drill a hole for an airlock.

Anyone tried this?

Steve

In my opinion if something holds the liquid and can be covered it can be used for fermenting. When I first did a brew many years ago I didn't have a 23 litre FV and me and a friend used bowls, milk bottles, 1 demijohn and wine bottles after pitching the yeast in steel pots. It was a totally bodged job because we thought it was 1 gallon kit like wine until we read the instructions. The beer wasn't that great but I later discovered it should have been drunk after priming and conditioning in bottles and we just poured it straight from the bottles it was fermented in. Last 2 brews turned out well and I didn't use an airlock, just fitted the lid with a small gap where the cable for the fish tank heater went in.

I was having no luck with my barrel leaking so I used it as a FV for my last brew :)

We're a resourceful bunch :)

Those 5L for £1 water containers are great for small batches. I'd encourage anyone who's new to brewing to use these and follow Clibit's AG guide.

Latest posts

Back