Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I got some of the red and black ones from BrewUK or Leyland they are definitely reusable aren't they?

If I did end up getting a tap at some point, are the Easy Kegs with the bottom taps usable, or do you need the Mini Kegs which don't have a bottom tap?

Thanks!

The answer to both of those questions is yes. I haven't used a party star with my easy kegs but someone on here said it'd be fine as long as I got the grey bungs.

I have built up a good collection of easy kegs now and have most filled, just looking some advice, how is everyone syphoning into them?

I've drank several of my kegs and all of them the first pint is quite yeasty. I only do small batch 5ltr brews at the minute, that will change when I get my ace boiler for xmas, when syphoning I always get some trub into the kegs, first pint cloudy and yeasty, the rest is usually nice and clear. Tried hop socks on the syphon tube but no real difference yet. I dont use secondary's but I presume it would help if I racked off into a secondary for a few days before kegging?

I have built up a good collection of easy kegs now and have most filled, just looking some advice, how is everyone syphoning into them?

I've drank several of my kegs and all of them the first pint is quite yeasty. I only do small batch 5ltr brews at the minute, that will change when I get my ace boiler for xmas, when syphoning I always get some trub into the kegs, first pint cloudy and yeasty, the rest is usually nice and clear. Tried hop socks on the syphon tube but no real difference yet. I dont use secondary's but I presume it would help if I racked off into a secondary for a few days before kegging?

Try racking into bottling bucket/secondary first then leave for 30 mins before racking into the keg

does anyone have a video or utube of these kegs in action showing use of bottom tap or using the 5 star injection system? like to see if how they use them i.e. do you use natural carbonation and then top up with the co2 if so how much? hope this makes sense from a beginner

I just put 5L of my Christmas plum porter into an easy keg for the first time. It's just a shame I still had 18L that still needed bottling. It was so much easier and quicker.

I only had the grey bungs that go with the party star tap, but no tap so I reversed the little plastic plug in the centre of the bung so that I can pull it out of the top and replace it rather than push it in and leave a hole in the top of the keg.

As soon as I'd done this I had a panic about the pressure build up popping the little plug out of the top. To avoid this I've held it in place with some bamboo bbq skewers held I place by the clip on handle. Is this a daft idea?

I primed the 23L brew with 95g of table sugar, so about 20g for the keg. Is this too much? I think I was aiming for slightly lower but ballsed up the maths.

IMG_20161109_003705.jpg

A lovely bit of "ingenuity engineering" there! Well done! :thumb:

On the other hand, do you really want the keg to blow a seal somewhere else if it can't withstand the pressure that may come about with excess sugar?

I use 12 grams in mine and the first two pints are really frothy.

does anyone have a video or utube of these kegs in action showing use of bottom tap or using the 5 star injection system? like to see if how they use them i.e. do you use natural carbonation and then top up with the co2 if so how much? hope this makes sense from a beginner

I use:

o The bottom tap for the first 1 to 2 litres using natural carbonation. (I tried pushing in the Flexi-Tap before reducing the pressure and blew beer all over the place from around the bottom tap seal!)

o CO2 injection and the Flexi-Tap for the next 1 to 2 litres.

o A modified bike pump to empty the keg after using 1 x 8g CO2 capsule.

I just put 5L of my Christmas plum porter into an easy keg for the first time. It's just a shame I still had 18L that still needed bottling. It was so much easier and quicker.

I only had the grey bungs that go with the party star tap, but no tap so I reversed the little plastic plug in the centre of the bung so that I can pull it out of the top and replace it rather than push it in and leave a hole in the top of the keg.

As soon as I'd done this I had a panic about the pressure build up popping the little plug out of the top. To avoid this I've held it in place with some bamboo bbq skewers held I place by the clip on handle. Is this a daft idea?

I primed the 23L brew with 95g of table sugar, so about 20g for the keg. Is this too much? I think I was aiming for slightly lower but ballsed up the maths.
20g should be fine, it's what is recommended on the Brew UK website. I regularly do 25g without issue.

I batch primed my FV with 130g for 22 litres then filled a minikeg,forgot to prime it separately and it was fine, very good actually.
Just dont leave too much headspace.

A lovely bit of "ingenuity engineering" there! Well done! :thumb:

On the other hand, do you really want the keg to blow a seal somewhere else if it can't withstand the pressure that may come about with excess sugar?

I use 12 grams in mine and the first two pints are really frothy.

Do you open the vent before pouring the first pints?

I batch primed my FV with 130g for 22 litres then filled a minikeg,forgot to prime it separately and it was fine, very good actually.
Just dont leave too much headspace.

I wasn't sure about how much headspace to leave. It was a little hard to tell because of the starsan foam but I think there was probably about 1cm of space between the beer and the top of the keg. Is this too much?

I've used 12g on 3 kegs. Only used one so far and was good. Was an IPA.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Do you open the vent before pouring the first pints?

I don't like the vented tops but when I use them "No".

There's no way to open a vent on the top bung shown in the photograph.

The one and only time I attempted to install the Flexi-Tap without taking some beer from the bottom tap caused the seal surrounding the bottom tap blowing and the loss of about 30% of the contents.

There's no way to open a vent on the top bung shown in the photograph.

It should be possible to vent the beer with the bung as I have set it up. I reversed the plastic plug so instead of pushing into the keg with the tap it can be pulled out of the top. This should allow me to vent it if needed.

This was the reason I felt the need to add the bamboo braces to stop the plug popping out of the top.

I've just taken a keg of my DIY Dog Santa Paws out of the shed and tapped it, and there's no carbonation whatsoever. I pruned at 12g for the keg rather than my usual 20g because I was wanting lower carbonation on it, but there's none at all. It tastes fresh enough, and it's coming out the tap, so there was obviously some CO2 in there but there's no head, no fizz in the mouth,nothing. I had a bottle of it 3 weeks ago and the bottle was carbed ok.

All I can think is that I forgot to put sugar in it (maybe I have a double carbed keg!), but if that was the case wouldn't the beer taste stale?

I've just taken a keg of my DIY Dog Santa Paws out of the shed and tapped it, and there's no carbonation whatsoever. I pruned at 12g for the keg rather than my usual 20g because I was wanting lower carbonation on it, but there's none at all. It tastes fresh enough, and it's coming out the tap, so there was obviously some CO2 in there but there's no head, no fizz in the mouth,nothing. I had a bottle of it 3 weeks ago and the bottle was carbed ok.

All I can think is that I forgot to put sugar in it (maybe I have a double carbed keg!), but if that was the case wouldn't the beer taste stale?

It may create enough co2 to fill the small headspace, especially if you roused the yeast when transferring or moving the keg

It should be possible to vent the beer with the bung as I have set it up. I reversed the plastic plug so instead of pushing into the keg with the tap it can be pulled out of the top. This should allow me to vent it if needed.

This was the reason I felt the need to add the bamboo braces to stop the plug popping out of the top.

Sorry, but you didn't post the question I was answering so we are talking Apples and Oranges.

There is a different type of top bung that has a small vent on the top that allows air to enter the MK after the initial carbonation has finished and beer is drawn from the keg.

It looks like this ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006O2F7IS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... and I thought that was the type Doctor Mick was asking about.

My original comment was made for your original post where you hold down the "upside down" centre of the bung in place with the bamboo sticks.

Hope this clarifies the situation. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I'd share what I've found to be the easiest technique to remove the bungs (red and black) without damage. I use a knife to remove the top part of the bung, get a kebab skewer and poke the center bit in to the keg. I then use the skewer to prize the bung out on one side and give it a tub, I can manage it in a couple of seconds now and I'm yet to damage anything other than the skewer. :thumb:

Back