Home Brew Competition - January 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go then HBF entrants of the January competition, we have the first second and third places as follows....

1st. jceg316 (coffee & vanilla porter)
2nd. dan125 (oatmeal stout)
3rd. strange-steve (oak porter)

This competition gave an amazing variation of styles and tastes. Really well done everybody who entered!!

The victorious beer by jceg316 was a clear winner voted unanimously by all judges with a lovely balanced flavour. A nice pour, tantalising aroma and the coffee with vanilla was devine.

Good labeling work effort in some entrants cases and nice descriptive wording.

Given the bottles and the labels this beer came in, here's a clear case of don't judge a book by its cover! But the contents were lovely.:thumb:

[/URL]

Well done Josh.

I will get feedback to everybody when I can. Please bare with me, busy and long working days etc etc.

Here we go then HBF entrants of the January competition, we have the first second and third places as follows....

1st. jceg316 (coffee & vanilla porter)
2nd. dan125 (oatmeal stout)
3rd. strange-steve (oak porter)

This competition gave an amazing variation of styles and tastes. Really well done everybody who entered!!

The victorious beer by jceg316 was a clear winner voted unanimously by all judges with a lovely balanced flavour. A nice pour, tantalising aroma and the coffee with vanilla was devine.

I'm well chuffed with 2nd, and equally surprised - thanks for judging peteplus1
:cheers:

Well done Strange_steve, Jceg316 and Dan125. Post your reciepes and I'll copy them to the comp winners recipe thread

FAT BLACK HEART - Oatmeal Stout
(named after a track by a favourite band from back in the 90s & not a clone of a Brewdog stout with a similar name) - [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vv7ovOnJEM[/ame]

25L batch

OG - 1.058
FG - 1.013
5.9% ABV
30ish IBUs

Maris Otter Extra Pale - 2400g
Mild ale malt - 2000g
Naked malted oats - 1200g (meant to have ordered normal oat malt)
Carafa Special 3 - 500g
Swaen biscuit honey malt - 500g
Caramalt - 300g

Mashed @ 66C

Target (pellet-10.5%AA) - 32g - 60mins

Fermented with WLP002 English Ale yeast @ 18C, rising to 20C to finish

My entry was brewed on the 4th Dec and bottled on the 24th, and I think it might benefit from a bit longer in the bottle.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks for judging Pete, and we'll done to Josh and Dan :clap:
I'll have to have a look at my archive for the recipe to mine, it was brewed in Aug 2015, a robust porter aged with oak chips and spiced rum.
Btw that coffee vanilla stout sounds delicious!

Latest posts

Back