No Bubbles coming though Air lock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APINTA

Regular.
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I started a new beer brew which was Muntons "OAKED ALE". Done everything according to the instructions after a day or two went to check on the brew there was no bubbles coming though the air lock. I checked the temperature which was 22c. So I decided to take the lid of and have a look See Photo I also checked with The hydrometer which gave me a reading of 10.30 so it has a bit of time to go.So why no bubbles though the air lock?. I do have Aquarium heater which goes though a bung in the top of the lid the heater is adjustable. Ps I was going to keg this beer is that a good idea

20170122_184740.jpg

A couple of days ago I started a new beer brew which was Muntons "OAKED ALE". Done everything according to the instructions after a day or two went to check on the brew there was no bubbles coming though the air lock. I checked the temperature which was 22c. So I decided to take the lid of and have a look See Photo I also checked with The hydrometer which gave me a reading of 10.30 so it has a bit of time to go.So why no bubbles though the air lock?. I do have Aquarium heater which goes though a bung in the top of the lid the heater is adjustable. Ps I was going to keg this beer is that a good idea

Judging by the photo, the fermentation is well under way, so I wouldn't worry about the lack of bubbles through the airlock.

.So why no bubbles though the air lock?. I do have Aquarium heater which goes though a bung in the top of the lid the heater is adjustable. Ps I was going to keg this beer is that a good idea
The reason you have not got a bubbling airlock is simply that there is a leak. Either the lid to FV seal leaks (although it may look OK) this being a common problem, or the cable seal for your aquarium heater is leaking. Fermentation CO2 then just bypasses the airlock. You should accept the leak and keep the lid on your FV for about another 10 days and then start to take your SG readings to find out if the beer is ready to bottle.
You can put your beer in bottles or a PB. There are pro's and con's for each.

Agree, fermenter seal wasn't tight. That beer is fermenting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have Aquarium heater which goes though a bung in the top of the lid the heater is adjustable.
For future brews you could eliminate one potential source of leaks by using a water bath. This will eliminate the need for the heater cable bung in the lid. You already have an aquarium heater all you need is a trug (try Wilko's).
How to Set up a Water Bath for your FV - The HomeBrew Forum
I don't use a heater direct into my beer since I have this unfounded belief that you will in some way slightly cook your beer and taint it, although others like you do use this method.

Managed to sort the heating problem Ta Ha :drink: it is Ok lid fits tight Great:thumb: There is a other small problem I have a "Refracttometer which gives brix% and SG Wort can I use this to give starting level but can do as the sugar disperses and the alcohol level goes up and is better than Hydrometer in giving level as well

20170124_104347.jpg

20170124_104538.jpg

20170124_104621.jpg

One of my beers has got nice froth in its brewing bucket but the level seems to be stuck at 1020 which I think it should be below 1014 by now Any ideas what to do ?

How long do you think it has 'stuck'. It really need to be stable over a few days for you to be sure. Folks come on here and say they have a stuck fermentation and then come on a few days later and tell us its dropped a few points after all! Your beer may well be taking its time especially since you still have signs of life i.e. a krausen of some sorts.
Is it a Wherry? These are notorious for sticking at about 1.020.
Normal advice for stuck fermentations (in case you need to take action) is rouse the yeast either by very gentle stirring using a santitised spoon (avoid entraining air) or swirling the FV (latter not as effective imo) and/or move to a warmer place. Repitching with fresh yeast sometimes suggested but at SG1.020 there may not be enough fermentable sugar to get it going again.

My airlock was not bubbling on the first brew so on the one I started today I didn't put any water in it, is that going to cause problems??

Latest posts

Back