Add yeast nutrient to a kit brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I boosted an old thread with this question but no answer so I'll start afresh.

Does anyone routinely add yeast nutrient to a regular one (or two) can beer kit brew? If not, why not? And if yes, did you notice a difference/?
Might this not be a good failsafe practice to adopt an the basis of 'If it don't help, it can't hurt'?

I boosted an old thread with this question but no answer so I'll start afresh.

Does anyone routinely add yeast nutrient to a regular one (or two) can beer kit brew? If not, why not? And if yes, did you notice a difference/?
Might this not be a good failsafe practice to adopt an the basis of 'If it don't help, it can't hurt'?

There is a rumour that Coopers include it in the yeast sachet,they usually ferment out between 3-7 days,what difference it makes to the taste of a finished brew I'm very unqualified to say.
Good question though,I've been wondering that myself if it's worth just throwing it in at the start and bypassing all hassle,must be a downside somewhere.
:wha:

"must be a downside somewhere.."

That's what I thought, or surely everyone would be doing it as a matter of course to avoid 'stuck fermentations' etc...wouldn't they?
Hopefully others will add info..

Depends on the nutrient, if you used a premixed nutrient then you could add too much. I keep DAP on hand for boosting all my beers with out any potential off flavors.

DAP = diammonium phosphate

This gives the yeast nitrogen for yeast growth but does not include the vitamins (in energizer or blended nutrient) which I found can give some off flavors.

That's what I thought, or surely everyone would be doing it as a matter of course to avoid 'stuck fermentations' etc...wouldn't they?

Can't see that the kits would be that short on nutrients , in my limited experience stuck ferments are usually down to preparation & understanding what the wee yeasties need, adding extra nutrients at the start is not guaranteed to speed up the ferment or stop it from sticking.

Yes adding nutrients to a stuck ferment can get it going but it's not necessarily the nutrient that kicks it back to life. The 4 stages of the yeasts life cycle makes for interesting reading.

Plenty of oxygen & overpitched yeast ( starter or double dose ) are more important to me than extra nutrients.

Latest posts

Back