transition from kits for a friend advice pls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've managed to get my pal into homebrewing in a big way and he has successfully done a porter and a pale ale kit.
for all I would love to show him how to use my AG setup, it will soon be going to my house thus leaving him to try and collect what kit he can.
I can show him using the cheaper ways of using what he has as far as HLT, mash tun etc and use LME/DME with grains & hops.

After all that woffle what recipe would you suggest for a 23L batch for him to try out, I was thinking a stout of some description?
I will get him to research extract, BIAB & Partial to get his mind going.

Thinking an old beer barrel converted for his boil or HLT then go from there, so many ideas out there..
Right ive bored you all enough time for a nice cool one.
ATB
Bri

basic pale ale is the way to start, you only need pale malt, sugar, hops and yeast, the less you have to sort out first, the better, you could add a bit of crystal malt if you want but keep it simple to start

basic pale ale is the way to start, you only need pale malt, sugar, hops and yeast, the less you have to sort out first, the better, you could add a bit of crystal malt if you want but keep it simple to start

Yeah M8,
Thx pal for replying.
Put a lot o thought into the subject the last few weeks n everytime I come up with the same conclusion get my old AG kit out get it set up n make some batches....but the down side no where to do it til my health improves and I get away from my mothers:pray:
Nowt worse than a man dreaming of his favourite hobby n not being able to do it...but got more checks in a couple weeks for the big C elsewhere in me old frame so can only take it day by day lets hope it aint in me fingers or taste buds...I'm in good spirits (pardon the pun lol) keep smiling day by day and never complain...:drink:
ATB
Bri

An extract beer is a good place to start - steep some crystal and boil with hops. Then do a partial mash, just add base malt to the steep and control the mash temp.

All the best for 2015.

Back