Elderflower cider woes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
So I tried making some elderflower cider and the end result is a lil disappointing as you can't really taste the elderflower, although you can smell it slightly.

I used dried elderflower as its out if season and the convenience is unparalleled. Heres what I did, maybe you can spot a mistake.

Recipe:
8ltr of pure apple juice
2ltr of strong tea
160g demerara sugar
10g of dried elderflower

I put the elderflower in at the same time as everything else and left it to brew for 2 weeks.

Any input welcome.

So I tried making some elderflower cider and the end result is a lil disappointing as you can't really taste the elderflower, although you can smell it slightly.

I used dried elderflower as its out if season and the convenience is unparalleled. Heres what I did, maybe you can spot a mistake.

Recipe:
8ltr of pure apple juice
2ltr of strong tea
160g demerara sugar
10g of dried elderflower

I put the elderflower in at the same time as everything else and left it to brew for 2 weeks.

Any input welcome.

Did you put the elderflower in the hot tea? Should have a strong taste with that. As in wine that would be plenty at 5g per gallon, but I have to say there clearly are two types of taste buds out there that can taste elderflower easily and other not so unless it has a really strong flavour. Maybe give a few testers with other people to get their opinion.

I've not made the Cider but have wine and I found the taste dissipates quite quickly with age and after about 6 months it's still nice wine but the elder flower taste is pretty much gone.

with the other comment I'm wondering if I should brew it in a tea before adding to see if it keeps more taste :idea:

I just put it in with the cider. I will definitely brew it in a hit tea first next time, try and draw out the flavours and nit just the scent

Latest posts

Back