Looking to try a Port Tester... Any Recipes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanRM

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been looking to try making a Port using some of the things I've got in my freezer. Only looking to do say a 1Gal batch (maybe 2) in case it doesn't work out too well. And not to ruin my stock until next season as I have a few other things planned until then

I have read that it's roughly 8lbs fruit per Gallon? but wouldn't mind help on proportions to get a good flavour

Can anyone give me a hand on a Recipe/method with what I've got at the moment?

10lbs - Frozen Winter fruits
3 1/2 lbs - Blueberries
9lbs Elderberries
17lbs Damsons
8 1/2 lbs Blackberries
19lbs Sloes

I'm looking to fortify using Brandy, I have 3L of Blackberry Brandy coming up to it's 12 months, which I thought about using (if this will work)

Thanks
Dan

The recipe for English Port in Berry's book is 2lb elderberries, 2lb blackberries, 1lb blackcurrants, 1lb sloes, some red grape concentrate and 4 lb sugar, then adds a gallon of water.

Not tried it myself as I missed the blackberries this year and sloes are hard to come by this far north unless I use dried, but it thought it might be of help to you.

I did try this cj Berry recipe about seven years ago, unfortunately I was very disappointed, nothing like any port I've ever tried.

Hi all, I've been looking to try making a Port using some of the things I've got in my freezer. Only looking to do say a 1Gal batch (maybe 2) in case it doesn't work out too well. And not to ruin my stock until next season as I have a few other things planned until then

I have read that it's roughly 8lbs fruit per Gallon? but wouldn't mind help on proportions to get a good flavour

Can anyone give me a hand on a Recipe/method with what I've got at the moment?

10lbs - Frozen Winter fruits
3 1/2 lbs - Blueberries
9lbs Elderberries
17lbs Damsons
8 1/2 lbs Blackberries
19lbs Sloes

I'm looking to fortify using Brandy, I have 3L of Blackberry Brandy coming up to it's 12 months, which I thought about using (if this will work)

Thanks
Dan
dan will be back to you asap been wine tasting this years batch 30gal and selecting for christmas drinking, bit squiffy at mo mate,,leave out the sloes and damsons, with this amount of fruit, you need oak chippings for a start, and a rioja wine kit, and will make 3 gallon of port wine,if the blackberry brandy is good dont use that . you can get a grape spirit from tessco for £8 a bottle for fortifying, be back asap

Latest posts

Back