Gidday from DownUnder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheQuokka

Reaction score
Hi, a single dad from Melbourne Australia just recently got more serious about my brewing again.

Started brewing regularly a couple of years ago when the wife left, but just K&K or partial. Of course I've started getting the taste for it again as I improve and recently scored some bargains on kegging gear, then a boiler/tun with temperature control.

When I first tried homebrew there was little available in the way of supplies and good advice and I gave up after a couple of brews. When I moved to W.A. my workmate was into it and I started again, but still wasn't happy with the results. Coopers Brewery here came out with their own kits, but it was never like what I drank commercially. I tried lagering, but it was far too much work and drama and I found my fridge got infected pretty quickly. Then I started hanging around with a girl who was a member of CAMRA back in England and she introduced me to some British Ales which I discovered I liked.

From there I never looked back (though I had a couple of breaks when living where it was too hot and the local water was too hot and undrinkable to brew beer.) I learned to brew Ales at the correct temperature and better sanitation, found places that stocked grains and better hops and yeast, etc. When I moved to Kalgoorlie I found it actually cheaper to buy malted grain than malt and the place I bought it from provided lots of information on mashing, etc.

These days I can buy a wide variety of ingredients locally, and while I am broke again my pommie friends reckon my Tetley's-styled Special Bitter is as good as or better than the original. I am sure I still have the old books somewhere as I "accidentally" produced some great beer with roasted barley recently and it's given me the idea of trying stuff like wheatbix and such again.

To summarise: My favourite style is English Bitter (or Stout in winter,) favourite Hop is East Kent Goldings, and I'm finally going all-grain (BIAB) as I'm as tight as a fish's

How are ya?
(That's how I was greeted when I visited Adelaide)
Welcome to the forum.
I've just set up a recirculating mash system with an ACE mash tun/boiler and a 20 litre tea urn.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I have added you to the forum map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2290525#

gggggggg.jpg

Hi, a single dad from Melbourne Australia

To summarise: My favourite style is English Bitter (or Stout in winter,) favourite Hop is East Kent Goldings, and I'm finally going all-grain (BIAB) as I'm as tight as a fish's

G'day Quokka, welcome to the forum. That's an interesting life story. Glad you've found the true path to happiness, contentment and better beer, with the guidance of your pommie princess.

Happy brewing mate. :thumb:

Welcome along, Lots of active bleeding edge brewers down in Aus and a thriving forum community too, its the home of No-Chill and afaik full volume recirculated mashing not forgetting Matho and his arduino based brew controller(braudino)..

Latest posts

Back