Coopers Draught Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Slid. I haven't ever done two kits together but would certainly work with a limited hopped beer like this one. I have three others to play with, a John Bull IPA, a Brewmaker Scottish Heavy and a brewmaker Strong Bitter. Might do a mash and share it between the two or might just use the various crystal malts in the same way as I did this one.

Any update on how this turned out as i have got one to do and was looking at what i could add to it?

Ive made plenty of one can extract kits and this one is just awful. I added 1,3 kilos of DME and dry hopped with cascade. Just a waste of ingredients.... After two weeks in the fermenter it was almost clear and I bottled with 120 gr of sugar. After two weeks in the bottle I had a taste and wow... So so sooooo twangy! Just so much homebrew taste, just awful. Not even the cascade could mask it! I had hoped that it would fade but now after 3 months it's still the same. The cascade has faded away and the twang! The TWANG!
It was left at a stable temperature. Never again.

Ive made plenty of one can extract kits and this one is just awful. I added 1,3 kilos of DME and dry hopped with cascade. Just a waste of ingredients.... After two weeks in the fermenter it was almost clear and I bottled with 120 gr of sugar. After two weeks in the bottle I had a taste and wow... So so sooooo twangy! Just so much homebrew taste, just awful. Not even the cascade could mask it! I had hoped that it would fade but now after 3 months it's still the same. The cascade has faded away and the twang! The TWANG!
It was left at a stable temperature. Never again.
I wonder, how fresh was the can? I've not had any problems with any of the Coopers cans but I always check the 'best by' date. I've read old liquid extract is often responsible for 'twang" in extract-based homebrew. I nearly got caught out recently when my local supermarket, who stock Coopers products, put out-of-date cans to the front of the shelf! :nono: I had to unload about 10 cans before I got to one at the back with a 2018 date on it!

Otherwise, if not that then it's most likely something else that went wrong with your brew to produce the "twang" you refer to, rather than the draught kit itself. After all, I imagine it's been brewed successfully many thousands of times by brewers all over the world!

I am new to both brewing and this forum, but I have read this post with interest as I was thinking about doing thisone next.

It is great to read the good reviews about it and that it is nearly bullet proof. That is music to my ears.

I had a Mr Beer kit with the Bewitched craft tin, which was my first. It turned out good and has for sure improved with age. I have a coopers larger kit on the go with 30 bottles to prove. That is looking nice. So with the first 11 bottles nearly gone and waiting for the next 30 bottles, my mind is going to the next brew.

Will be returning back to the UK soon and it is good to hear that Tesco can provide.

Back