Hello from New Zealand

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-erl

Reaction score
Helo from New Zealand,

I uesd to help my Dad with his homebrew when I was about 13, I'm now 36 and moved out here to NZ just over 8 years ago so it's been quite a while since I've had anything to do with home brewing!!

I just bought myself a homebrew kit and have brewed an IPA from a muntons kit, and all went well I think, as I've yet to taste the final drop! Just started a stout from a 2.2kg kit but the gravity has dropped to about 990? Is this OK?

Cheers,

Jez

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

0.990 seems impossibly low for a beer, that's a dry wine gravity, have you checked your hydrometer and are you sure about that reading, and what yeast did you use?

By comparison, I think the lowest I've ever had a beer reach was about 1.004

Runwell-Steve said:
Perhaps hydrometers work differently when you are upside down
066 is pretty high for an Original Gravity from a kit brew :wha:

My sister has just buggered off and emigrated down there, I'll have to ask her if NZ water is any drier than UK.

:cheers:

Hey thanks for the warm welcome and pointers!

The hydrometer has been working fine, but I think I might try and get another to try.

I used the yeast that was supplied with the kit, it was supposed to be better than the normal kit yeast?

I'll post if I find out anything!

:drink:

:oops:

Ok, so I checked with another hydrometer and it read .998 so I checked with my hydrometer and it read .998. Not sure how I read .990 but it was obviously human error!! Hadn't even had a drink!?!? Is .998 still quite low though?

Cheers

Erl

:wha:

Back