Galaxy hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goatreich

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm looking to do a really hoppy brew next with Galaxy hops. Uncle Plumble has already advised me on twitter to use a cheaper hop for bittering, and to pile in the galaxy towards the end which is advise I'll likely follow, but does anybody think it's overkill if I put in 100g of leaf in stages during the last 15 minutes of the boil in a 23l brew, and then another 100g of pellets as dry hop?

I'm looking to try and get something close to Tiny Rebel's Billabong brew and I know they questioned my thinking before when I said I thought 100g of dry hops in a 5 gallon brew was a bit much.

I did a cracker of a pale with just MO, challenger to bitter, chinook for flavour and galaxy for the dry hop. A real, trans-continental hop-fest!

100g late additions and 100g dry hop... :hmm:

Put it this way. I don't think it is physically possible to have too much Galaxy. :thumb:

I think I have some challenger in stock. I'll need to check. I'd rather use up some old stock for the bittering if possible. I guess I could go with 50g late and 50g dry hopped for the first attempt and see how it is. I might save myself some cash that way too.

Here's what I did:

Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.00 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.5 EBC)         Grain         1        100.0 %       
25.00 g               Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min      Hop           2        19.1 IBUs     
10.00 g               Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min      Hop           3        5.5 IBUs      
5.00 g                Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        4        -             
12.00 g               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           5        5.4 IBUs      
10.00 g               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min         Hop           6        0.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         7        -             
25.00 g               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days     Hop           8        0.0 IBUs

And that was designed to not be particularly mental but the chinook and galaxy just shine! I'll be doing again for myself just with a little bit more on the aroma and dry hops.

Galaxy is good. I think 100g in the last 15m will give you plenty, plus 50g for dry hop. Always depends on the gravity you go for, though! I've made something similar with Amarillo AND Galaxy and it maybe turned out a bit too much biased towards Amarillo.

Btw, when I say that it is good I mean that it is a more rounded hop. Citra and Amarillo for me are a bit too recognizable unless very well mixed in. Galaxy is a bit more easy to blend (I consider Cascade easy to blend too, believe it or not).

think about what you are putting in. cleanish malt profile (I like to use at least one malt for body/mouthfeel - wheat, oat etc - and one for flavour, caramel vienna etc) and clean hop schedule will reduce other flavours, letting the hop come through. I was recently advised to use a clean bittering hop too and really pile on the later additions, particularly because hops like Citra have dirty bittering qualities and won't taste as good in the grand scheme of things. 30 mins is supposed to be somewhat pointless, so maybe 20-0 and dry hop is your best bet. :cheers:

look forward to how you get on. had an old golden hen on draught the other night and it was wonderful!

I think passion friut when I think of this hop, it's one Ive used fairly extensively and I kind have to disagree with some of the above, I think it's a fairly dominating hop and can easily be over used, harsh for bittering but has a good flavour used late with supporting "C" hop additions. A 'bit' of a dry hop is also good, but Id certainly be swell under 100g of it.. ever 50g sounds a lot to me for a single batch. As noted above I generally use it with supporting C hops, Chinook, Cascade, Centennial :thumb: (Any of but especially Centennial)

just my 2c FWIW (and BTW the above recipe looks the goods :clap: )

Yob

Thanks all. I have some Challenger in stock, so I'll likely use this for the bittering, and then work out some sort of hop schedule for the rest. Accordingly. I won't go overboard for the first attempt, but I think I'm going to in stages from 15-0 with maybe around 25g, and then about 25g in as dry hop. See what beer smith makes of it.

This is what I'm leaning towards at the moment:

Maris Otter: 3.6kg
Challenger - 15g - 90 mins
Galaxy - 25g - 15 mins
Galaxy - 25g - 5 mins
Galaxy - 25g - 0 mins
Galaxy - 25g - dry hop after 7 days
US-05

OG 1.045
45 IBU
Est 5.1%

Galaxy is a superb hop, I have brewed it as a single hop brew several times, one got a 3rd place at the hot break last year, I don't use as much as you are proposing but I'm not a lover of monster hop beers. In a 23lt brew I used.

10gms 90mins
10gms 30mins
10gms 15mins
20gms 0mins

I've dropped the 5 minute additions (of Citra) in my last 2 brews and chucked a shed load like 2g/litre in at flameout for a 20 minute steep. Just the aroma during fermentation and a taste whilst bottling tell me it's a big improvement.

The Goatreich said:
This is what I'm leaning towards at the moment:

Galaxy - 25g - 15 mins
Galaxy - 25g - 5 mins
Galaxy - 25g - 0 mins
US-05

OG 1.045
45 IBU
Est 5.1%
I made this in the end, and it turned out lovely, although slightly lacking in the flavour department, so perhaps could have done with some more galaxy, or another hop around the 15 minute mark.

My main problem was that the dog knocked the pressure barrel off the counter and drank lots of the contents while I was out at work, so not only was it air tarnished by the time I got to drink any, there was only half of it left! Next time I'm bottling it, and keeping the dog away!

Just a quick question about dry hopping and bad batches. I've had 2 batches of AG that have turned to vinegar. On the first occasion, was the only time I'd ever used a starter. On the other occasion, it was the first and only time I'd dry hopped.

This may be just a coincidence that these 2 batches turned sour. But is there any remote chance when dry hopping, of introducing a nasty to the ferment? I mean the brew is now at room temperature and may be vulnerable?

BTW the hops I'd used was Golding not Galaxy and had been used and re-sealed about 3 months earlier.

The Goatreich said:
My main problem was that the dog knocked the pressure barrel off the counter and drank lots of the contents while I was out at work, so not only was it air tarnished by the time I got to drink any, there was only half of it left! Next time I'm bottling it, and keeping the dog away!

Is the dog ok? I have heard rumours that hops are bad for dogs. I was making dog treats from old grains and few places specify not to use hopped grains as hops are bad for dogs. I thought it was odd, since I remember lots of dogs having beer in one of the locals my parents used to drink in when I was a kid. Maybe modern dogs are wusses?

Algernon said:
The Goatreich said:

Is the dog ok? I have heard rumours that hops are bad for dogs. I was making dog treats from old grains and few places specify not to use hopped grains as hops are bad for dogs. I thought it was odd, since I remember lots of dogs having beer in one of the locals my parents used to drink in when I was a kid. Maybe modern dogs are wusses?

they are allergic indeed, same with grapes garlic onion chocolate etc, but then dogs are dogs and most pub beer has a minimum of hop oil in.

The Goatreich said:
[quote="The Goatreich":eek:0e43x28]This is what I'm leaning towards at the moment:

Galaxy - 25g - 15 mins
Galaxy - 25g - 5 mins
Galaxy - 25g - 0 mins
US-05

OG 1.045
45 IBU
Est 5.1%
I made this in the end, and it turned out lovely, although slightly lacking in the flavour department, so perhaps could have done with some more galaxy, or another hop around the 15 minute mark.

My main problem was that the dog knocked the pressure barrel off the counter and drank lots of the contents while I was out at work, so not only was it air tarnished by the time I got to drink any, there was only half of it left! Next time I'm bottling it, and keeping the dog away![/quote:eek:0e43x28]
I made this again on the weekend, only replacing the 90 minute challenger with 15g Nugget and adding 15g of challenger at the 15 minute mark.

Hopefully the dog won't have it this time.

About to make this again. I have some citra hop coming in too, and I'm trying to avoid the temptation of adding that in too, perhaps without any bittering hops and just lots of late hops.

Latest posts

Back