Galaxy hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just bottled my first Galaxy. It was spot on for me at bottling. Short of a mighty hop-bomb IPA style, but very fragrant and still moderately sessionable. I get oranges strongly in the aroma, but then I can't remember the last time I smelled a passion fruit! I did this (below) and then dry hopped with 50g in a secondary bucket for a week, after which it was down to 1.008. (OG was 1.043 in the end.)

I had been cautious about using Galaxy for bittering, so I went with a hop I've used successfully before for that part, Northern Brewer, which also left me my full 100g pack to throw at the later stages.

Galaxy Pale Ale (American Pale Ale)
23 Litre Batch

Original Gravity (OG): 1.042 (°P): 10.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (°P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.40 % before priming (4.6%ABV in bottle)
Colour (SRM): 5.2 (EBC): 10.2
Bitterness (IBU): 36.9 (Average)

81.48% Maris Otter Malt 3.3KG
12.35% Munich I 0.5KG
6.17% Wheat Malt 0.25Kg

0.9 g/L Northern Brewer (9.7% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil) 20g
0.7 g/L Galaxy (15.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) 15g
1.1 g/L Galaxy (15.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) 25g
0.4 g/L Galaxy (15.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) 10g
15 mins steep after flameout.

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented with Safale US-05

Notes:
Sparge:

First Batch: Top up with 4.9L of boiling water after the mash, to get 76C mashout, plus 9.96L @76C.
Allow to settle for 10-15 mins. Drain.

Second batch: 14.86L @ 76C, 10 mins, drain.

Galaxy is a superb hop, I have brewed it as a single hop brew several times, one got a 3rd place at the hot break last year, I don't use as much as you are proposing but I'm not a lover of monster hop beers. In a 23lt brew I used.

10gms 90mins
10gms 30mins
10gms 15mins
20gms 0mins

Hi all,

I am new to "this" side of brewing, and have just bought liquid malt extract to be able to have my own twist on beer. I've also ordered 100g galaxy hops. I am unfamiliar with the terms used,rreading this recipe does this mean 20grams are added at the start? The start being 0mins and in effect the final 10g being added at 90 mins (the end)

For this i will just be boiling hops in water rather than a full brew as the malt is ready to go from the tin

hi I do 20 lt ag brews and use all the hops mentioned, the Citra hop seems to work better with fuggles as a bittering hop I have done both with galaxy as well and the citra it wins with me,my best one is morris otter chocolate malt (not a lot) crystal malt fuggles and citra I have also used the cascade hop as this seems to give the beer a hint of liquorice and all are really good:drink:

Hi Greg167
The time refers to how long its it the boil for, so 10g at the beginning (full 90min boil) and 20g at the end (steeped post boil). Hope that helps

Thanks for this. I followed the galaxy hop guide using a muntons light malt extract 1.8kg tin, 500g light spraymalt and 200g sugar. I used the sugar after to help bump up the S.G a touch. The last brew of 2014!

The hops were boiled in a 5 litre pan, 10g at the start, 10 grams after an hour 10 grams after 75 mins and 20 grams in and took it off the boil a minute later.

I am trying to put a twist on a brew without the time and hassle of a full mash.

The aim was to have a light beer hopefully golden in colour and a pleasant hop without being overly hoppy.

S.G. on this was 1.038 at 21 litres so it won't blow your head off.

In about 6 weeks I will be able to comment on this properly

Hi Greg

This sounds great to me!

If you were pushed for time, next time, you do something similar. Go for a well bittered base can - like Coopers English Bitter - and do the hops with the DME for a 25 minute boil with 20g upfront, 15g at 7 mins to go and whatever you fancy as a dry hop 3-4 days into the fermentation. :hat:

I will bear that in mind thanks

What is the advantage of boiling the DME?

I have got a coopers draught sat in the cupboard that was intended for this. This was before I knew you could get plain malt extract. I suppose this could take to adding hops to it?

I made a single hop Galaxy ale ~5% ABV hopped with:
20 Grams of Galaxy (15.00%) for 60 minutes
20 Grams of Galaxy (15.00%) for 15 minutes
20 Grams of Galaxy (15.00%) for 1 minutes
Dry Hop with:20 Grams of Galaxy for 7 days

In 20L, 100g of hops @ >12% will be enough IMO.

It came out very tropical and very nice - galaxy is my fave hop.

But ultimately I found it was better when blended with Amarillo hop for some spicy/earthy flavour.

Personally I always boil DME as a sanitisation measure in case dust comes of the packaging into the fermenter but it would prob be OK not to. Palmer notes that not boiling, or late boiling, reduces browning reaction giving you a paler colour. Note that boiling hops in lower gravity will increase bittering derived from the hops so you need to adjust how much you add.

I'm not keen on using pre-hopped DME/LME and I only use pale/extra-pale DME/LME and then tint it (and flavour it) with speciality grains. Basically I use extract just to substitute for the pale malt in a given recipe as a convenience. Of course if someone gave me ANY extract, I'd brew with it :)

HTH, YMMV.

Thanks for this. I followed the galaxy hop guide using a muntons light malt extract 1.8kg tin, 500g light spraymalt and 200g sugar. I used the sugar after to help bump up the S.G a touch. The last brew of 2014!

The hops were boiled in a 5 litre pan, 10g at the start, 10 grams after an hour 10 grams after 75 mins and 20 grams in and took it off the boil a minute later.

I am trying to put a twist on a brew without the time and hassle of a full mash.

The aim was to have a light beer hopefully golden in colour and a pleasant hop without being overly hoppy.

S.G. on this was 1.038 at 21 litres so it won't blow your head off.

In about 6 weeks I will be able to comment on this properly

I have bottled this today, when it finished at 1.014 still active with the odd bubble but had stayed the same for 3 days. This makes it 3.15% and I was expecting it to be 3-3.5% considering what was used

The aroma is very tropical. I had a taste and it's very bitter but that will change no doubt. Bottled with half a teaspoon of sugar per 500ml. I hope this is enough?

Will give this 2 weeks in the kitchen and 2 weeks in the garage before tasting. I'd upload a picture but don't know how to from my phone. It's a lovely golden colour, which is nice because it's different to the other brews I've done so will be recogniseable at least!

Can't wait to try this, nothing more exciting than an experiment! :)

I love both the galaxy and amarillo hops, need to get a move on with my next IPA, have planned to use Bramling cross in it as all out of galaxy/amarillo

Just stumbled across this thread. I've seen somewhere that hops can cause dogs to lose their ability to regulate temperature and cause them to die within a few hours, so I've started being very careful disposing of mine since I read that. I presume the amount of oil in the final beer wouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts

Back