Mangrove Jack M03 Newcastle Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used this??..if so how did you get on??
I'm currently brewing and all grain Porter ..SG 1.060, and I used 2 packs of Newcastle, re-hydrated, and the fermentation took off like a rocket after 3 or 4 hours and continued like that for one and a half days then just died...with gravity at 1.024 (instead 1.016 FG predicted for this yeast by Beersmith software). I read some people in the US had bad experiences with it seriously under attenuating but I didn't expect it to be this bad, especially since I kept the mash temp on low side to improve fermentablity.
I have attempted to rescue the batch by pitching a starter of Nottingham (Gervin G12) together with a little glucose to help it get established and it is starting to bubble away nicely...hopefully it will continue so I can reach a decent finishing gravity in the low to mid teens.

I'm kind of interested in this yeast as I make a lot of milds. I was aware that it is is a medium attenuator but thought pitching two packets, like you have done, would do the trick. I wonder if re-hydrating than making a starter would get things down to the target FG

For the pitching of the M03 I did rehydrate the two packs in 220ml water. I only made the starter for my Gervin G12 rescue mission so I knew I would be pitching actively growing/fermenting yeast cells into the partly/almost fully fermented wort which would have around 5% alcohol in it.
Based on the manufacturer claims, it should be quite a nice strain for milds.
The other mangrove jack variants seems to get better reports on performance.

Gervin G12 is my yeast of choice for all the bitters I brew, it seems a pretty robust yeast strain and leaves a pretty clean taste.

Back