Ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_wato

Reaction score
Hello!

I know I've seen on here a link on different ingredients and why we add them ( e.g. pectalase, glucose, citric acid etc etc)

However I can't find it!

I currently have one gallon of mead fermenting away lovely with help from the mead video below and a few extra ingredients taken from other threads!

I am thinking of cooking up another gallon of mead but just wanted to know the little extras before I decide what I want to put into it!

Thanks

Mark

If it's just mead, honey only, then you'll only need yeast nutrient. If you're adding fruit to make a melomel then a tsp of pectolase will help clearing. If you're using starch based fruit or veg' then a little amylase will help break down starch into sugars and help clearing. Can't see the point of additional acids to a mead base other than the fruit you're adding, unless when meaking cyser (apple & honey) additional malic acid will promote secondary fermentation of malic acid to the softer tasting latic acid. Saying that most recipes do suggest a little citric acid, probably to help to promote fermentation, rather than taste.

Opps forgot tannin source, could use strong tea (no milk of course) for your tannin or shop bought which tends to be chestnut, youngs one is and can be a little harsh.

Latest posts

Back