Home Brew Names

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemond

Reaction score
Does anyone else name their brew?

I like to gift some of the bottles I brew to family for Christmas, Birthdays or as a Thank You for something. I therefore usually come up with a name for each beer and, if I have time, design a label for the bottles too.

All but one of my own recipe beers so far have been related to Middlesbrough (footy team I support and family connections even though I'm in Blackpool).

So far I've had:

"Promotion Ale" when Boro were promoted to the Premier League
"OBE" to celebrate our chairman being awarded the honour
"TeesPorter" (experimental porter which I'll be trying for the first time later today)
"Haway in a Manger" (currently conditioning)
"Christmas Tees" (currently fermenting)

Just a bit of fun :)

Does anyone else name their brew?

I like to gift some of the bottles I brew to family for Christmas, Birthdays or as a Thank You for something. I therefore usually come up with a name for each beer and, if I have time, design a label for the bottles too.

All but one of my own recipe beers so far have been related to Middlesbrough (footy team I support and family connections even though I'm in Blackpool).

So far I've had:

"Promotion Ale" when Boro were promoted to the Premier League
"OBE" to celebrate our chairman being awarded the honour
"TeesPorter" (experimental porter which I'll be trying for the first time later today)
"Haway in a Manger" (currently conditioning)
"Christmas Tees" (currently fermenting)

Just a bit of fun :)

I worked in a Pharma factory and made an FDAle to celebrate passing an FDA inspection.
The factory was closed last year and we were all made redundant, I made 300 bottles, one for each person on site with a label
Redundancy ale, "hoppy beer with a bitter finish" in recognition of our closure!

I try to name my own recipe beers after songs. The only one I've actually brewed is Common People steam beer (steam beer that isn't made by Anchor Brewery is called California Common in the states), obviously inspired by Pulp, but I have a few lined up in Brewers Friend for later brews - Be My Yoko Ono (Japanese style rice pseudo-lager, inspired by the Barenaked Ladies), North American Scum (American Pseudo Lager using Northern Brewer hops inspired by LCD Soundsystem), Annie Wheats (American Wheat, inspired by Ben Folds) and Hefewheat Champion of the World (Hefeweizen inspired by Reverand and The Makers).

Suggestions for the name of my PB stout are welcome!

I try to use play on words with my beer names...for example my Witbier, I used "Blue Goon" and for the IPA I brewed using Galaxy Hops, I used "Far Far Away", as a homage to Star Wars.

I try to use play on words with my beer names...for example my Witbier, I used "Blue Goon" and for the IPA I brewed using Galaxy Hops, I used "Far Far Away", as a homage to Star Wars.

I name my beers in a Similar way to you. Par example;

Otterly Awry - Maris Otter and Rye, and the beer was wildly different to anything I'd designed to date so Awry fitted well.

Hi!
I have a dark mild carbing in a Corny at the moment. I can't decide whether it'll be "Born to be Mild" or "Afraid of the Dark".
A local microbrewery brews a dark winter ale called "Old Dark Attic".

I named my last brew in honour of my son, who had a slight trimming accident. - I called it "Beardgone Bitter" :lol:

Hi!
I have a dark mild carbing in a Corny at the moment. I can't decide whether it'll be "Born to be Mild" or "Afraid of the Dark".
A local microbrewery brews a dark winter ale called "Old Dark Attic".

A local brewery near Newcastle has a stout called "Dark side of the Toon"

I've got a Anchor Porter Clone in the FV, which I've named "Drop The Anchor"...

Yep, I've named all of mine sor far. I do pretty small batches,so labelling bottles isn't too big a headache.

Get names from songs ("Ghost Patrol"; "1 Night in NYC"), books/whatever I've been reading about ("Muad'Dib"; "Yggdrasil") or really nerdy stuff/weak puns ("[w][l]/[q][a]"; "Hoppy aCcident"), or really informative names ("Sierra Nevadaish clone"; "Bay & Rosemary Ale")

My latest label... :lol:

image.jpg

I couldn't be bothered naming my beers clever things, so i've decided to name them all after Metallica songs in chronological order from albums. So

Beer #1 - Hit the Lights (Punk IPA all grain kit)
Beer #2 - The Four Horsemen (Cascade SMaSH)
Beer #3 - Motorbreath (Cascade SMaSH - dry hopped)
Beer #4 - Jump In The Fire (Chinook SMaSH)
Beer #5 - Pulling Teeth (Centennial SMaSH)
Beer #6 - Whiplash (American IPA)

This is a Simple Kit spruced up with Spray Malt and dry hopped with Cascade. Been a Star Wars fan boy had to go with it. One more kit to do then going AG after Xmas.

IMG_1218.jpg

Latest posts

Back