cold starting diesel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Instead of "addiction", could it just be that the engine/fuel system has a persistent and progressive problem that causes starting difficulties?
If so, then to get the thing to start then you either:
1. Diagnose and fix the problem, or, if it's not too serious then:
2. Give it a squirt of ether and ignore the problem.
If you choose option 2, then maybe the engine, having initially been difficult to start, fires up perfectly. But, once the problem gradually worsens, then you get to a stage where it just won't start at all without the ether.

Its definitely seasonal....it's spot on when the weather is above freezing. Even in the summer when its stood for a week while I'm on holiday it starts first time. Reading various forums over the years it could be almost anything from glow plugs to battery to starter motor...the fuel additive thing is my latest "fix".....that and my winter look around the car sales...perhaps i should clear alk the **** out of my garage and stick it in there over night with the oil heater on...no good though when i need to use it coming home off nights.

cheers

Clint

Get shot and buy a Picasso! My 2ltr Hdi started first pop earlier at minus 5! Never had a problem,touch wood, but I have noticed the ticking sound during this cold snap. 130,000 miles now and as sweet as a nut.

Instead of "addiction", could it just be that the engine/fuel system has a persistent and progressive problem that causes starting difficulties?............

You may be right but I don't know of a better descriptive word than "addicted".

I checked out the boat before purchase on a cold morning and the seller started the engines using Easy Start. He pointed out that after starting "on a cold morning" the engines were good to stop and start as often as was required throughout the day without any more encouragement than turning the ignition key.

The engines (Mitsubishi 4 In Line Diesels) used hardly any oil, didn't use any more diesel fuel than expected and didn't smoke. In other words they were as good as one could expect from any engine with +/- 4,000 running hours apiece.

However, when I bought the boat, without a quick squirt of Easy Start they just would not start when the weather was cold ...

... and two years later when I sold the boat the engines were still running perfectly but they needed a quick squirt of Easy Start for EVERY morning start in winter and summer!

During the two years all I ever had to do on the engines apart from a regular service (change oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filters) was to renew a water pump on one engine and a starter motor on the other.

The Easy Start wasn't expensive because all the engines ever needed was a single quick squirt on to the air-filter and they would start.

But without it you could churn the damn things over long enough to flatten a battery and still not get them running! :doh:

Since that experience I have never used Easy Start on any engine. My last boat had a single Mitsubishi engine with over 8,000 running hours. We lived onboard for just under eight years and it started within ten seconds of turning the key every time we needed it!

Yep! "Addicted to Easy Start" still seems to describe the experience.

I'm a bit weary for that. These days diesels have a highlighted warning not to use any petrol in it. The winter example is even highlighted in the skôda manual. I guess it's due to the high operating pressures of common rail pumps, adding petrol decreases the little lubricating proporties of diesel.

I know they used to put that in diesel back in the days, to prevent the parafin from crystalizing. However normal summer diesel has other additives and has a CFPP of about -10°C, so waxing should not be the cause. Here in NL, lower CFPP grades are only used for lorry diesel in the winter. Summer diesel is supplied year round, except for a small periode where they can supply intermediate grade. If waxing would be the cause, the fuel filter would be clogged up.. so it also wouldn't start with easy start.

I can hardly imagine the UK uses poorer quality Diesel. You can give it a shot though, you need Diesel anyway.

Glow plugs...replaced
Just a thought.....
My first diesel car (about 30 years ago) had a delay light in the dash, related to glow plug heating. When the driver turned the ignition key there was a delay of about 2-5 secs (can't remember exactly) before the light went out and it was OK to turn the engine over to start because the plugs had reached temperature. Modern diesel engines fitted to cars are pretty much like petrol engines i.e. turn the key and we're off.
You could try a short delay of your own between turning on, to turning the engine over, to definitely ensure the plugs are at temperature (just like the olden days!)

terrym, my aforementioned Picasso has a glow plug light on the dash, and it stays lit for a couple of seconds after turning on the ignition. Also if I'm very quiet I can hear the fuel pump pressurising the system for five seconds or so. Only then do I start the engine and like I say, it's not yet let me down.

Yeah there is a glow plugs light...I do the glow plug thing three or four times on freezing starts otherwise it won't go..
Bought a bottle of wynns earlier so will give it a go.

Cheers

Clint

Try turning the ignition on and waiting for the glow plug light to go out, turn off the ignition and do the same again, this time when it gores out try to start the car.

Clint
There have been a few sagas on here of late including catering establishment workplace banter, the price of craft beer, and the impact of fluoride on human physiology, but the one that really caught my eye was the more mundane but nevertheless equally important topic concerning your diesel car winter starting problems.
So with fingers crossed optimistically in anticipation, is it fixed? :thumb:

Well...I put the wynns stuff in and topped up at Shell. The first few days when it was very cold it still didn't like starting and the running was the same. Now nearly half a tank of fuel has gone through it seems a bit quieter and a bit more quicker on acceleration but the its warmer so can't really tell on the cold start...it probably isn't any better.

Cheers

Clint

It may be different stuff to what i used but mine said add the full bottle to 20 - 25 litres, if you filled the tank it may have watered it down too much.

i doubted what i said earlier about the amount of fuel to add it to so checked -

11111111111.jpg

2222222222.jpg

Yeah..done that. Just checked my antifreeze. ..it's on the min level so I'll top that up in the morning when it's cool..

Cheers

Clint

Check your glow plugs, this is the most likely fault if it starts and runs ok otherwise, some vehicles can chew through them especially if cheap plugs are used, it only takes one not working to cause difficulty, if two are duff then it will be lucky to start when cold.

Back