Fermenting.....Vegetables

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just started another batch of sauerkraut. It's so easy to do and very tasty, although it's not for everyone. Cabbages are reasonably cheap at present so I thought I would share the method with folks on here. I am sure there are others out there who do it, I'm only really a novice.
Sauerkraut and other fermented vegetables rely on naturally occurring (good) bacteria on the veg to create, by fermentation, an acidic environment in which the vegetables are preserved. It's been about for hundreds of years and for example kept ships crews (reasonably) healthy in days gone by. Cook is alleged to have taken barrels of the stuff on his exploration trips.
The stuff you buy in shops is pasteurised, but if you do it like me, you will have the benefit of healthy bacteria which your digestive system will thank you for.

Wot you need ….
A Cabbage; compact cabbages are best, like red or white cabbages
Salt
Something to ferment and store. I use a kilner jar.
A large bowl.
Some scales

Wot I do (with clean hands to start)...
1. Prepare the cabbage. Don't wash it unless it's covered in soil, since you will wash off the bacteria you want to use, just remove any poor quality leaves. Cut out the heart. Weigh the cabbage. Slice the cabbage, aiming for slices about 3-4 mm wide.
2. Put sliced cabbage in a large glass bowl.
3. Sprinkle salt on cabbage at the rate of about 1 tsp for every 250g cabbage.
4. Knead or work the cabbage with your hands for about 5 mins aiming to extract as much liquid from the cabbage as possible. It will soften as it gives up its liquid.
5. Put cabbage and liquid into your jar, packing down tightly as you go.
6. When it's all in and packed down as much as you can, cover with brine made up with 1tsp salt in 250ml water. Aim to just cover cabbage don't drown it. If you have something to put on top of the cabbage to weigh it down, so much the better
7. Cover up and put in a warmish place. After a couple of days you will see bubbles forming, that's the bacteria, originally on the cabbage, working to create the acidic environment you want. Repack down the cabbage so that it stays under the liquid level as much as possible.
8. Depending on the fermentation temperature things should slow down after about two weeks or so.
9. Its ready to start eating after about a month but the taste will change with time. Some folks like it better young.
10. When no further sign of bubbles I put mine in the fridge. It should keep for months.
11. If it develops a white 'bloom' on top you can either ignore it and eat it, or skim it off.

That's just cabbage. Most veg are suitable for fermenting. I do cucumbers with chili flakes.

Loads of stuff on tinterweb about fermenting veg. Sandor Katz, apparently, is the 'main man'.

I do similar thing but follow the Korean recipe and make spice mix once it's salted and leave it to ferment for a couple of months before putting in the fridge. I've had some Korean Kimchee that is a year old and it's an acquired taste but one that I definitely like.

I tried a fermented hot pepper sauce with the Naga chillis I had at the end of the season diluted with some non hot peppers. I seemed to get the lactobacillus fermentation going after a couple of days....by day 5 it was bubbling away and smelling great, but by day 6 it had white mould all over it and didn't smell nice at all so I binned it. It looked like the white bloom that should be ok but the smell had changed completely so I thought better safe than sorry. Will try again next year....but may have a go at sauerkraut of Kimchee before then. Have asked SWMBO for a fermented hot sauces book for Xmas.

Now 3 days in, and not exactly a krausen, but the bugs are now fermenting the cabbage in my jar..

cabbage.jpg

Is this the same sharp tasting gabage you get in kebbabs? As in the dubious ones you eat in semi denial after a few snifters? If so i love the stuff and shall give this a bash.

Is this the same sharp tasting gabage you get in kebbabs? As in the dubious ones you eat in semi denial after a few snifters? If so i love the stuff and shall give this a bash.
Don't do kebabs, but I suspect that it's just sliced raw cabbage that is used. So the easy solution to find out is to buy a white cabbage slice a few mouthfuls and if you like it problem solved and if it isn't the same have a go at sauerkraut with whats left, which you may or may not like. Ready made Polish sauerkraut is sold by Tesco http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=262299302 but as I said in the OP it's probably pasteurised so has no good bugs in it .

Latest posts

Back