Killer drivers new law proposed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about time something changed when drunk or mobile users kill while driving.

Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38199720
it cant happen quick enough for me the amount of drivers I see using their mobile phones when im out and about on foot is scary,but what I don't understand is folk will happily pay thousands for a car but not pennies for a hands free:-x I have mine bluetoothed to the car and before anyone says to me yes technically its still illegal to use it that way but it is much safer,what do we do with the buggers/idiots that text whist driving,now that is unforgiveable and inexcusable.
lets see for a first offence a ��£1000 fine instant 2 year ban and to retake their driving test after serving the ban and yes life for carelessly causing the loss of an innocent life

Was difficult to proove they were on the phone at time of an accident, but now have instant access to mobile data (New snoopers charter law) and can easily proove they where on the phone or texting.

Judging by the number of wannabe murderers I see messing around with their phones/reading the paper/farting around with their reflection in the rearview mirror etc etc, they're gonna have to build a load of new prisons and pretty damn quick.

Spot on Gunge and do we include eating, drinking (driving with one hand) having the in car entertainment on so loud you cannot hear what is going on around you, there are a lot of drivers out there who are an accident waiting to happen.

Spot on Gunge and do we include eating, drinking (driving with one hand) having the in car entertainment on so loud you cannot hear what is going on around you, there are a lot of drivers out there who are an accident waiting to happen.

I hear ya. Was once in a near miss
near Telford with a guy who did go off the road but didn't hit me. He got out of the car covered in his lunch that he'd clearly been eating whilst driving

I have never taken a cup of coffee for a drive in my life just drink the fecking stuff before you set off, get up a little earlier there is no need to have your breakfast in your car
animated-smileys-angry-023.gif

Chippy, re loud stereos. This has always puzzled me. Apart from the obvious distraction of the sound so you can't hear other traffic,sirens etc there's the fiddling about with the stereo itself which is at least as bad as messing around on the phone! My missus used to have music on loud until I put my foot down. She'd be in 2nd gear blissfully unaware that the engine rpm was so high that the pistons were about to exit the head! We ought to start with the nob-jockeys in saxos with blacked out windows, bean-can exhausts and lowered suspension who think inflicting their appaling taste in 'music' on the rest of us is cool.

We ought to start with the nob-jockeys in saxos with blacked out windows, bean-can exhausts and lowered suspension who think inflicting their appaling taste in 'music' on the rest of us is cool.

If i showed that quote to Mrs Tea she would swear i posted it :lol:

You can be prosecuted for wearing headphones for the reason below yet i have never heard of anyone being prosecuted for playing their music too loud yet both impair your hearing, i guess policing it wouldn't be easy.

Not seeming to be a grumpy old men wannabe i am not talking about having your music on loud i am talking about having it that loud it can be heard in the next street, i like a bit of Led Zep in the car but i don't have it cranked up when driving in towns.

If the person is caught, he can be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention. The argument (from the police's point of view) being that hearing is one of the usual sense a person has -- and intentionally impairing that sense means not being fully aware of the surroundings during driving.

I'll make an exception for Zep, chippy. Should be compulsory in fact, just been playing Physical Graffiti on me new cd player. Awesome! Anyhow I forgot to add in my previous post that there was an ad on the radio the other week for a car who's USP was how extreme the volume was on its stereo. Unbelievable.

I'll make an exception for Zep, chippy. Should be compulsory in fact, just been playing Physical Graffiti on me new cd player. Awesome! Anyhow I forgot to add in my previous post that there was an ad on the radio the other week for a car who's USP was how extreme the volume was on its stereo. Unbelievable.

So they had a chance to discuss music quality but chose volume, i guess they know their potential customers well.

Deaf people can drive, so I don't see why anyone should be penalised for music. With regards phones, it absolutely needs to be applied to hands free as well, regardless of he men who claim they can talk on the phone, read a book, have a quick nap, and drive; even if it were true (it's not) the law isn't made based on exceptions (some people can drink huge amounts of bevvy and not be impaired (or not) but we don't base legislation on them and allow lightweights to plough into bus stops).

Sorry, but yet again it's all "Smoke and Mirrors" from the Government!

The sentence for "Causing Death by Dangerous Driving" is already set at a maximum of 14 years ...

... but no-one ever applies it!

Also, there is the alternative charge of Manslaughter. Manslaughter is defined as ...

"the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought,
or in circumstances not amounting to murder"​

... and also carries a maximum sentence of Life Imprisonment. However, as in other cases of Life Imprisonment, the offender may be allowed parole after a very short time in prison.

It would help if the powers that be enforced the laws that we already have in place ... :thumb:

... instead of making announcements about new laws that, yet again, will probably not be fully implemented. :doh: :doh:

You are going to have to include banning smoking while driving then aswell as it's a distraction and it takes 1 hand away. If eating food/drinking goes then smoking will aswell

Okay, confession time.

"Things I have done whilst driving a vehicle on a road!"

Being very, very drunk!
(Definitely too drunk to walk home; but in the Scottish Highlands on empty roads.)

Smoking a fag, cigar or pipe with kids in the vehicle.
(Not all tobacco products were smoked at the same time!)

Rolling a fag.
(I still admire the cowboys on old films who could do it with one hand!)

Steering a car, van, mini-bus (with passengers) using only my knees.
(See the "rolling a fag" comment above!)

Shaving with an electric razor.
(A French friend did ask me what I would have done if the Police had noticed the lather!?!?)

Transporting my kids in the back of a van with no seats, never mind seat belts!
(The sounds of crying followed by "I told you to sit down."
were heard a few times before they learned.)

Using a mobile phone.
(Especially in the Scottish Highlands where I was happy to get a signal and use my phone.)

Adjusting and interrogating the GPS.
(This was until I got one that, unlike my wife, listens to me!
Amazing what it can do after I shout "Wake Up Mildred"!
and "No!" that isn't my wife's name!)

I'm pretty sure that I have committed many more acts that are now either heinous crimes, socially unacceptable or non-PC.

However:

o AT THE TIME most of them were both Legal and Socially Acceptable.

o I have never had an accident whilst doing any of the above. (Touch wood!)

o I mainly sleep conscience free!

Happy Days ... :thumb: :thumb:

... but maybe a tad dangerous by today's standards! :whistle: :whistle:

Latest posts

Back