Decorating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ive had five days off over 2 weeks,,, planned brew days included,

How many brews have i done,,,,'0'...
none ....zilch...
Bloody decorating ,,, Pfft .
:-(

I used to do the DIY but am **** so now its - YDDI

You don't do it.

55664961.jpg

got up at 8 to finish the stairway, its now 2pm,, ive done 2 strips, one of them i had to do twice as i measured it short,,,
the amount of time its taken me ,i would of been better off paying someone,,,grrr

Never ending at our place.

Moved in September 2007 to a house needing a bit of work :doh: Promptly redecorated all three bedrooms, all needed plastering / skimming, one needed half the floorboards ripping up and relaying to figure out why it was sagging, also opened up a fireplace in one.

Ground floor extension in 2010, unfortunately that caused some cracks to open up in one of the nicely decorated bedrooms when the steel work went in. Still like it now. Decorating the ground floor after that. Then children came along, even less time...

Front room, hall, landing, stairs needed a skim, got that done and decorated.

And then at the start of this year having not learned our lesson we got our loft converted. Even more decorating to do. Still got the stairs and landing to do including part of the stuff I hadn't done that long ago :doh:

Now the kids are slowly trashing all the hard work and the wife want's to decorate our eldest's bedroom in a style more befitting for a 5 year old.

I could cope with doing maybe 1 room a year at the moment, not much more . Still at least there is beer at the end of a days grafting :thumb:

Ha! Welcome to the Club!

We bought this house on the basis that it needed NOTHING doing to it so I've done almost nothing, apart from:

o re-roofing the garage,

o building a lean-to,

o installing a rainwater recovery system,

o re-piping the house to accommodate the above rainwater system,

o erecting a shed,

o building a conservatory,

o re-wiring the house to include the conservatory,

o hacking a hole in the back wall to install a door to the new conservatory,

o installing a wall and door to allow access to the new conservatory without passing through the bedroom.

I must have missed out a few minor jobs as this is only in the last six years and we have spent about six months a year away from home during this time ...

... and all SWMBO will tell you is that all I do is hang around the house wasting my time brewing! :doh: :doh: :doh:

PS

I completely forgot about the bathroom until I paid my usual four hourly visit! :whistle:

In there, I had to rip out a bath and installed a two-metre long walk-in shower ... :thumb:

... which was much more suited to old people like us! :lol: :lol:

just worked out that at 5 days doing this, very badly.. £200 a day say if i was at work,,thats £1000 Fxxk me,,, wish id have paid someone now,,,

This time last year I'd just completed decorating the whole house. I was still a bit creaky after my hip replacement but felt ok to have a go but it took an age and recovery was slow. I usually bake Christmas cakes but couldn't find the time and hobbies were put aside.
This year...cake baked and being fed with plenty of brandy...loads of ale brewed and me generally gearing up for full on settee flattening!
I truly hate painting!

Cheers

Clint

Ha! Welcome to the Club!

We bought this house on the basis that it needed NOTHING doing to it so I've done almost nothing, apart from:

o re-roofing the garage,

o building a lean-to,

o installing a rainwater recovery system,

o re-piping the house to accommodate the above rainwater system,

o erecting a shed,

o building a conservatory,

o re-wiring the house to include the conservatory,

o hacking a hole in the back wall to install a door to the new conservatory,

o installing a wall and door to allow access to the new conservatory without passing through the bedroom.

I must have missed out a few minor jobs as this is only in the last six years and we have spent about six months a year away from home during this time ...

... and all SWMBO will tell you is that all I do is hang around the house wasting my time brewing! :doh: :doh: :doh:

the value work that you do is clearly invisible, yet the brewing (waste work in SWMBO's option) is clearly taking over the whole world :doh:

I just ply mrs doj with brews until she starts giggling then goes to bed :thumb:

Just had to do 2 rooms in 5 days... I need a holiday to recover from my holiday!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5 years ago I knocked the whole back of the house down, dug the footings and increased the kitchen size from a small galley kitchen, luckily I was running my own business at the time and I had the time to do it. Because of where the house is I had to carry every single item (including the cement mix and screed) plus every single item for the build round the back, it was 6am - 9pm work 7 days a week.

Did I get any credit for it? SWMBO complains daily that it isn't finished but I'll be buggered if I'm doing any more DIY:

Destroy

Extend

Stick a huge steel in and pray

Put up a partition wall to create a brew room / office, slap on some plaster

Finished one day before Christmas

I am never doing this again, it broke me physically and financially (but much cheaper than getting builders in). Learnt a lot about construction and general house building, more than I ever want to learn about local authority inspection people and more about sewage laws and soak away's than I will ever want to learn.

Who the hell know what a mascar bowl is? I didn't but I do now and I have one :lol::lol::lol:

5 years ago I knocked the whole back of the house down, dug the footings and increased the kitchen size from a small galley kitchen, luckily I was running my own business at the time and I had the time to do it. Because of where the house is I had to carry every single item (including the cement mix and screed) plus every single item for the build round the back, it was 6am - 9pm work 7 days a week.

Did I get any credit for it? SWMBO complains daily that it isn't finished but I'll be buggered if I'm doing any more DIY:

Destroy

Extend

Stick a huge steel in and pray

Put up a partition wall to create a brew room / office, slap on some plaster

Finished one day before Christmas

I am never doing this again, it broke me physically and financially (but much cheaper than getting builders in). Learnt a lot about construction and general house building, more than I ever want to learn about local authority inspection people and more about sewage laws and soak away's than I will ever want to learn.

Who the hell know what a mascar bowl is? I didn't but I do now and I have one [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
Looks great! 👍

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nice project! We did similar but had a builder in to do it. Still quite stressful and a lot of decorating to do after.

From this:

x2l8ic.jpg

To this:

11m4v29.jpg

And finally this:

99fk88.jpg

Luckily, the wife does most of the decorating every 2 two months, re-wallpapers every change of curtains, repaints or papers a wall here there and everywhere all the time. 2 hours and done, I only help out on occassion, like pass up wallpaper brush or a pair of scissors. Remember she repainted 5 rooms and stairs by the time I got home from work. I'm left with floors, tiling, repairing equipment, plumbing and any external jobs.

Back