Recommend a tablet.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
I am in urgent need of a tablet for my son for Xmas. Panicking a bit since i found out the PO is on strike next week. I had bought one but was refunded as its apparantly broken. Not looking to spend a fortune but i dont want anything too slow either. Amazed at how many different models are available now. I bought an Acer Iconia when they came out but does not seem to work properly anymore despire resetting it. Terrible internet connection and most online apps crash. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Amazon Fire ones are supposed to be pretty good, they even do a variant for kids.

I am in urgent need of a tablet for my son for Xmas. Panicking a bit since i found out the PO is on strike next week. I had bought one but was refunded as its apparantly broken. Not looking to spend a fortune but i dont want anything too slow either. Amazed at how many different models are available now. I bought an Acer Iconia when they came out but does not seem to work properly anymore despire resetting it. Terrible internet connection and most online apps crash. Thanks in advance for your help.
We have an Nvidia Shield, copying what one of my sons had bought (and he's very IT savvy). They're very fast (so I'm told) since they are targeted at gamers. It wasn't cheap but I'm really happy with it.

I've got an Amazon Fire HD 10" and have been very happy with it but its not the fastest - not a problem for me as use it to browse the forums, email and use Beersmith mobile.

It does have a very nice screen, watched a few movies on flights etc. Also found the wi-fi connection very stable, mostly used at home to be fair.

Not sure for gaming if the lack of processing grunt would cause a problem, also worth checking the apps you need are in the Amazon Android Appstore as you cannot shop anywhere else for apps. I've found the apps in the Amazon app store very comprehensive but worth being aware of.

SWMBO and I both have ACER Iconia One 10" got them on offer in Tesco. Never had any problems with them other than they don't have the newest version of android os yet. I play games and watch TV and movies on mine fairly regularly. Works great for streaming and all the apps I've tried from the google play store run ok. If yours is the same model maybe you just got a duff one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Really appreciate it. Giving me a headache looking to be honest. Might have to reset mine and give him that for now. I never make good purchasing decisions when i am stressed as i keep proving to myself. I checked the model and mine is an acer iconia a500, one of the first. Oddly no twitter apps work anymore and it and its not getting any use. All he wants it for though is playing some games and filming himself, watching a few things. Maybe i should be asking if anyone can reccomend some games?

Get the Amazon Fire with Kids version (obviously depending how old he is) as there is a child's and teenagers version of the kids app and it is brilliant for the money.

I have the 8 inch version, the adjustable stand is what attracted me to it and it really is good.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaWLSoc2DjM[/ame]

Get a 2nd iPad - I'm an Apple convert but even a cheaper model will last much longer than any of the above imitations.

Software / hardware has longevity that will out see them all.

Get a 2nd iPad - I'm an Apple convert but even a cheaper model will last much longer than any of the above imitations.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGY2T9r1Ok"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGY2T9r1Ok[/ame]

Not bad spec's with 2gb ram and marshmallow. Easy to take back if borked. take insurance for a couple of pound out with them.

Depending on your budget but if you check ot Currys they used to provide no quibble replacement for bought for £150.If you buy it elsewhere then buy insurance it may total to something similar but the added advantage is you shall get a great specfor the price with added piece of mind:thumb:

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Really appreciate it. Giving me a headache looking to be honest. Might have to reset mine and give him that for now. I never make good purchasing decisions when i am stressed as i keep proving to myself. I checked the model and mine is an acer iconia a500, one of the first. Oddly no twitter apps work anymore and it and its not getting any use. All he wants it for though is playing some games and filming himself, watching a few things. Maybe i should be asking if anyone can reccomend some games?

Hi There

I just seen this post. I had a similar situation last year. My solution was to go to the EE shop. I was able to get my son a 'one touch' tablet with 4G and 2MB of data for £8 a month and tied in for 18 months. Worked out lovely as it meant we could get 4G when away in the caravan. Best bit about it was the tablets are in stock, so I took it away as soon as I signed the deal. If you don't mind a monthly sub then this is the way to go imho.

Zippy

Might be worth putting kitkat custom rom on it.

If you don't know about rooting, adding recovery apps etc. there's lots of info here though you might be better letting your lad do it :)

Clash Royale is pretty much the only game I play on android. I wouldn't worry about recommendations, I'm sure he can find plenty in the store, and there's loads that are free/freemium (I'd recommend not linking any payment methods to the gmail account and then there's no issues with wasting money on freemium games which are perfectly fine without spending money).

I have to admit I hate everything Apple not because their products are **** but because of the attitude of the people who buy their stuff and come out with statements like this.

Microsoft had a stylus-driven tablet PCs in the early 2000s.

Back