Hello from Essex

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DdraigGoch

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I've done a reasonable amount of brewing over the years. I've generally used kits from home brew shops, sometimes adding extra unusual things to add flavour. For example I made an ale with nettles and another with elderflower.

I've made wines a couple of times too. I made one out of elderberry, and I don't know if anyone remembers the Esther Ranzen from Bottom (going back a bit with my cultural references sorry), well that wine had he same effect.

My dad has always been into brewing as well. He talks about friends of his making home brew in their bathtub at uni. Have any of you heard of any unusual containers to use as FVs?

I think I'm going to have to replace my barrel. Can anyone think of a problem with using a plastic storage box as a FV, or should I buy a proper one?

Thanks for the input.

DG

Welcome to the forum, if making gallon batches you could buy five litre water bottles and drill the lid for an airlock.

Another former Essex boy here, spent my teenage years in Southend used to go drinking down in Old Leigh many years before it became hipsterised and spent many a night down on Southend Golden Mile.

Welcome to the forum.

Can anyone think of a problem with using a plastic storage box as a FV, or should I buy a proper one?

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

In answer to the question, "YES! I know a reason to buy a proper one!"

When the handles of the rubbish bin I was using as a FV snapped off I had to watch 23 litres of beer disappear down the cracks in the shed floor! Believe me, the ten quid you will spend on a real FV from Wilco is a small price to pay to avoid that moment! :doh: :doh:

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-fermenting-bin-and-lid-25l/invt/0022555

If you clean it out with a non-scratch sponge and keep the inside scratch-free it will last many, many brews! :thumb:

Thanks for all the messages.

I'm based in sunny Brightlingsea. Come and have a dip in our outdoor swimming pool, or an icecream by the sea.

Welcome to the forum
I am often in Brightlingsea with my work, mmmm ice cream

Another former Essex boy here, spent my teenage years in Southend used to go drinking down in Old Leigh many years before it became hipsterised and spent many a night down on Southend Golden Mile.

Welcome to the forum.

Summer down there is great. I love the crooked billet if you can be bothered with the queue.

Latest posts

Back