Temperature too low - cant get started

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosshatch

Reaction score
I started brewing for the first time on Monday and got everything done as per the instructions I was given and the temperature was correct between 20C and 24C. The problem came the next morning when the temperature had dropped to 18C and even when I heat my home the temperature doesn't seem to rise. The brewing vessel is made of plastic, and is currently underneath a table with 2 towels and a blanket over it.

I see other places on the internet saying to use an aquarium heater but as far as I'm aware the beer has to be kept airtight, and wouldn't the wire render that impossible?

Thanks for your help!

I would think that 18c would probably be fine. Most yeasts shpuld brew at that temp. Your other option is a heat plate that sits under the fermenter or a strap that wraps around the fermenter.

The 20-24C will be the optimum temperature. 18C should be fine - the yeast may just work a bit slower, so may take a little longer. Some people do make lagers with ale yeasts, so it is not impossible. You would have to be a long way out of range for it to kill the yeast.

I see other places on the internet saying to use an aquarium heater but as far as I'm aware the beer has to be kept airtight, and wouldn't the wire render that impossible?

Just to touch on this... I have never tried this, and would feel reluctant to do so for concerns about sanitation.

Have look on the board - there are a few discussions on making a fermentation chamber from a fridge with a controller and heater as well. This might be something to look at later once you have a few brews under your belt and you want to make improvements to your process...

The aquarium heater doesn't go in the beer, it goes into a water bath that the FV sits in, a sort-of Bain Marie. I use a cheap B&Q garden trug, FV sits in it nicely then you fill it with water and stick the heater to the inside of the trug, to heat the water which then heats the FV.

IMG_1392_zpsjt8baowd.jpg

I started brewing for the first time on Monday and got everything done as per the instructions I was given and the temperature was correct between 20C and 24C. The problem came the next morning when the temperature had dropped to 18C and even when I heat my home the temperature doesn't seem to rise. The brewing vessel is made of plastic, and is currently underneath a table with 2 towels and a blanket over it.

Thanks for your help!

If this is your first brew, I would just relax. Brewing is very forgiving pastime. You can make quite a few mistakes and still have a drinkable brew at the end. 18o temp is ok for the brew. If it was slow to start then it might be a bit cold. Once the fermentation kicks in the temp should rise a bit.

So long as you cleaned/sanitised the fermenter well before hand and threw the yeast in at the end when it was between 20-24o you should be fine.

If you want to raise/stabilise the brew temp a bit, as said above put a cheap aquarium heater into a water bath and set the fermenter into that - no possibility of contamination with this method.

:thumb:

Thanks a lot! I never even thought of putting it in a water bath - a momentary lapse of logic!

18C-20C is actually the perfect temp for most ale yeast. I suspect the kit manufactures put (up to) as at 24C the yeast will ferment faster and the kit will be done quicker so you can go out and buy another one.
I normally ferment my ales at between 17C and 20C depending on what yeast I'm using/how clean or fruity I want the beer to be

The aquarium heater doesn't go in the beer, it goes into a water bath that the FV sits in, a sort-of Bain Marie. I use a cheap B&Q garden trug, FV sits in it nicely then you fill it with water and stick the heater to the inside of the trug, to heat the water which then heats the FV.
Ah, I did not think of that!

To be honest, where my FV is, I always had more trouble with it being too warm, rather than cold. This is why I went with a fridge... :)

18C is fine provided you have temp control.

Problems start to arise when you don't have temp control and have your FV in a room "at 18C"...that probably means it's more like 20C or more in the day and 16C at night. Dropping below 18C for long enough to allow he FV to cool can lead to stuck brews.

Since I've had that trug and water heater it's taken all the guessing out of night-time temperature dips, and I've had much more consistent brews. Total cost less than 15 quid, best homebrewing investment I've made.:thumb:

Back