Lager issue - only has head on first pint

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q4legend

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a strange issue here that I cannot seem to find resolution to.

I have a home bar that dispenses lager. It is served from a Cornelius keg via co2 through a maxi cooler 110 and poured via a Stella swan tap.

I have tried experimenting with the co2 settings but no matter what pressure I use or how long it has been sitting in the keg for, it's only ever the first pint that has a head on it.

If I pour a second pint in succession, it is always flat with no head (as if all the co2 has been used).

If I wait 10-15 minutes then there will be another head.

This is ridiculous when I have company as one person will have a perfect pint but the rest are cr@p.... unless you wait a while.

Any ideas why this is happening and more importantly how to fix it?

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like a sanitizing issue. The first beer always foams more. If you wait 15min it's basically the first beer again.

There might be some detergent left in the draft (or nasties). Clean it properly, with a good detergent and make sure to rinse thoroughly. I'm pretty sure that would fix it.

If it would be an issue with the beer, all beers would have the same issue.. regardless of the wait time.

Latest posts

Back