Sodium Percarbonate/oxy cleaner.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Afternoon all!

Quick question; are there any differences between the cheap 'pound shop' oxy cleaners and sodium percarbonate. I've found five kilos of sodium percarbonate for £21.99, but that is still dearer than buying multiples of pound shop to the same weight.

Is there a difference, and if so, what is it/are they?

Cheers all.

The active ingredient of oxy cleaner is sodium percarbonate. But the SP in oxcleaner is only about 30%. The 'other stuff' in OC can leave a residue. I've recently swapped to SP. The stuff I got off fleabay was about 85% SP iirc

It depends, that is not something we can judge from here. It also has different uses like as a deck cleaner or textile staan remover. These tend to contain soap additives.

If it is a bag of the chemical itself, without additives you should be good.

Afternoon all!

Quick question; are there any differences between the cheap 'pound shop' oxy cleaners and sodium percarbonate. I've found five kilos of sodium percarbonate for ��£21.99, but that is still dearer than buying multiples of pound shop to the same weight.

Is there a difference, and if so, what is it/are they?

Cheers all.

If you have 4 other guys near you who want 5kg each of percarbonate look there> http://mistralni.co.uk/products/sodium-percarbonate-ultra-pure

The price drops to �£12 per 5kg if you order 25kg, postage is free and its in 5x5kg containers for easy/sorting picking up. There may well be cheaper options out there if you are prepared to dig about a bit. No matter what variation of it you use it will need a thorough rinsing of, i typically rinse 3 times before sanitising.

If you do use oxy/pure sp they both leave a film/residue/mineral deposits if you have water as bad as ours.
I would highly recommend using a chelating agent with it

If you do use oxy/pure sp they both leave a film/residue/mineral deposits if you have water as bad as ours.
I would highly recommend using a chelating agent with it

The water quality where I live isn't great. Lots of calcium etc, that makes it very 'hard'. What do you use to chelate with, and what is your water like?

I use stpp just because it was cheap and didn't fight with the ph too much.
Don't get it confused with tsp it is not the same

I use stpp just because it was cheap and didn't fight with the ph too much.
Don't get it confused with tsp it is not the same

Thanks for the reply. How much do you use of it per 4.5 litres or gallon? Had a look online about rate of usage without much success :-(

Something you'll have to figure out yourself depends on your water really try 10% to start with

Something you'll have to figure out yourself depends on your water really try 10% to start with

Thanks for the info, I'll make a start with the 10% figure. Stupid question time; what am I looking to achieve-reduction in pH/some other parameter or something else?

Thanks for all your help so far! :thumb:

A chelating agent will stop dirt from re-sticking and will also keep the minerals from your water in solution

Latest posts

Back