really daft question!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippy40

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All

Don't laugh here but can anyone explain the difference between Extracts, BIAB and partial mash?? It is confusing me:doh:

I only use various kits with LME in them and a bit of dried malt/enahancer and maybe a dry hop or two.

Thanks
Zippy

My understanding of these are:

Kit brewing - packs with mostly everything you need, some need sugar or malt extract.

Extract brewing - lme that you boil yourself adding hops and speciality grains to add flavours that has been done for you in kits.

Biab - a method of all grain brewing that uses one vessel to mash, optionally sparge and boil in as opposed to the standard 3 vessel method.

Partial/mini mash - a small mash (steeping grains around 63 to 68 degrees for around 60mins) of speciality grains to enhance a kit.

Zippy, doesn't sound daft to me, I'm struggling with the terminology too!

Just to clarify - is AG, All Grain brewing an umbrella term for BIAB and partial / mini mash?

Zippy, doesn't sound daft to me, I'm struggling with the terminology too!

Just to clarify - is AG, All Grain brewing an umbrella term for BIAB and partial / mini mash?

It's is an umbrella term, but for the methods where you make the brew from the basic ingredients: Grain, Hops, Yeast and Water...and no kit ingredients are used such as LME.

AG methods include BIAB, three vessel method ot using an all in one machine such as the Grainfather.

I use the BIAB because it's cheaper and suits my circumstances.

All grain is when all or almost all of the fermentables come from grain, and partial mash when only some does. You can do partial mash with extract or with a kit. The point is, there is a spectrum ranging from 0% of the sugars coming from grain (pure extract) to 100% (pure all grain). Steeping is around 10%, mini-mash maybe 20%, partial mash about 50%, all grain about 75% and up (which allows for styles such as Belgian beers which have sugar, Russian Imperial Stouts where you can push up the last few points with extract). These are fluid categories with no strict definitions.

Latest posts

Back