Kettle souring with yogurt culture

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatline9

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I'm trying to brew a Berliner Weisse. I'm following the instructions discussed here: http://www.notsoprofessionalbeer.com/2013/09/brewing-with-yogurt.html

Essentially making a starter with DME, culturing yogurt (with lactobacillus) for 3 days at 42 degrees to reach a pH of 3.8, adding this to my wort prior to boiling and leaving at 42 degrees until I've reached a pH of 3.5ish. Then boiling to kill off the lacto and fermenting as normal.

However, after 3 days my yogurt culture is only at a pH of 4.1, it reached that level 24 hours ago and hasn't changed since. I'm reluctant to continue with the brew if there isn't enough lacotbacillus, or if I've killed it all off? Any suggestions? Should I be more patient, add more yogurt?

Cheers

I would go ahead and add it to the wort, don't worry it will be enough to sour the beer. I've heard of people adding the yoghurt straight into the wort without culturing it. Add to the wort then have a little taste after 24 hours or so to see if it's sour enough for your taste, if not then leave longer. I don't bother checking the pH, I just go by how it tastes.

Thanks. I went ahead with it today. Fingers crossed it will sour. I suppose I could add some whole grain if the pH doesn't drop.

Do you find the flavour of yogurt transfers at all to the final product?

I would go ahead and add it to the wort, don't worry it will be enough to sour the beer.

pH has dropped from 4.5 to 4 in 20 hours, so I'm happy it's working!

Secondary question which you may have some experience with. I was planning on using a clean yeast, S-04, to focus more on the tartness for my first time brewing this style. But I've just realised I've run out of DME so won't be able to make a starter from my washed S-04 in the fridge... It's been in there a while so definitely needs a starter. As I can't get to my brewstore this weekend my only option is a packet of Mangrove 21, used for Belgian Wit beers.

What kind of yeast do you normally use? I personaly think the esters from this yeast might work well, but what're your thoughts?

:cheeers:

Do you find the flavour of yogurt transfers at all to the final product?

There will be some similarity to yoghurt due to the lactic acid flavour but I wouldn't say it tasted of yoghurt. I get more of a lemon citrusy flavour which is very refreshing.

Regarding the MJ 21 yeast, I've never used it but if it's for Belgian wit then it will probably be quite phenolic, not sure how that would work with the sourness. That being said it could work very well, I had a lemon saison recently which had both the citrus sharpness and spicy phenols and it was delicious.

Personally I use US05 for 2 reasons, it's very clean and allows the natural flavours to come through, but also because it is a pretty hardy yeast. It's being pitched into a harsh environment so I wouldn't use anything that was too fussy. Even with the US05 I still notice a fairly long lag time.

Do you have a Holland and Barrett nearby. They sell jars of malt extract that you could use to make a starter with.

Update: so the pH stopped dropping after 2 days and wouldn't budge below 4. After a further 48 hours I threw in some unmilled grain and the pH shot down to 3.45 in 48 hours. Boiled it up just now and the smell/taste of lemons is very strong! I'm opting for the M21 yeast in the end. I've got high hopes for this beer.

Glad to hear its all going to plan:thumb:
Quick question, how did you keep your wort at 42c for the souring?

I put it in my fermentation fridge and cranked the inkbird setting up to 45 degrees. My moderately small 40W heating tube could only keep it at 42-43 degrees though, but it did the trick. I've heard of people keeping it in the oven though, if you don't have a fermentation fridge

I use a light bulb as a heater in my fermentation fridge and it was more than enough to maintain 40° for a couple of days.

I don't have a brew fridge(yet). I do have an inkbird and heat pad, if I wrap my pot up well do you think it could hold temperature?
I could also give it a quick blast of heat once a day on the stove top.

I've never used a heat pad so don't know how hot they can get. But if it's very well insulated then in theory it should be OK. It doesn't have to be as hot as 43-45 degrees, but at lower temperatures the souring will take longer.

Good luck buddy
:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back