Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Recipe Discussion > Need help with ESB recipe (Sharp's Style)

Old 07-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #11
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3570 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 3685

Also try emailing the brewery and asking for the reciepe. Some breweries are amazingly open about their recipes. Another forumite came on the forum recently and asked for some reciepe help so I suggested emailing the brewery, which he did, and they emailed him back the complete reciepe http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67517
Milk Mild/Stout
Tin Miners Ale

Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
ThePhil

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You know what? I followed your advice and wrote them. Now Let's see what happens.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #13
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Worse they can say is, 'were not telling'. So it's worth a punt
Milk Mild/Stout
Tin Miners Ale

Old 08-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
zippy40

Liked 70 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhil View Post
Hi!

I unfortunately had to pour my homebrew away completely because it simply tasted like grass in the end. Probably due to the hops dust residue clouding up the beer. I think in future brews I will be much more conservative in regards to dry hopping...

Yesterday I had a Fullers 1845 for the first time and this beer simply smelled the same as my homebrew (maybe due to the yeasts volatile products). But obviously it was much more tuned and not quite as roasty as my first recipe.

I think that I will leave out the wheat completely next time, use the hops suggested and will not use dry hopping at all. BUT I will change up my hop boiling schedule so that I will late-hop the large mayority of my hops. I read this is very typical for british beers?

I will stick with maris otter as the base malt though I guess. I will lower the percentage of the caramunich III and will add some special B. I also checked out some other yeasts. It will basically be a completely different beer.

Thanks for your input so far! I am still happy if you keep them tips coming
That is a shame

If you dry hop for too long they do tend to impart a grass flavour to the brew. Solution is to dry hop for only a few days near the end of fermentation or do a hop tea and pour in.

Better luck next time.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #15
ThePhil

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah actually I only dry hopped for 5 days. The final 5 days of secondary fermentation.

But the bag I had the hops in simply let a lot of hops dust into the brew. The beer came out quite a bit cloudier than right after boiling. And the dust did not settle so inside the bottles there was still extraction going on until it was like grass juice.

It really is a shame if one considers the amount of time that went into doing it. But hey, that is learning.

I actually will not dry hop next time. May you please describe the "hop tea" method? are you extracting the hops in a smaller volume of low temperature water? I would guess that is not so effective, or am I mistaken?

I also did some further research regarding the sharps hops an reread a forum page and found this:

Quote:
Aurora, Hallertau (probably Mittelfrüh?), Northdown, Northern Brewer and Perle
those are supposed to be the main hops sharps uses. If I look at the data of these hops varieties it makes me switch the combination "Bramling Cross/First Gold" for "Bramling Cross/Northern Brewer". What do you guys think?

I also did not recieve an answer of them so far. Not even a hint.
zippy40 Likes This 
Old 11-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #16
johnnyboy1965

Liked 306 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I dont know the beer in your OP. JMHO..If you try to clone a beer, you will always be dissapointed.
It will take many brews before you get even close.
Start with the basic brew..ie strength, colour, mouthfeel....Then move onto the yeast and finally the hops

Old 11-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #17
terrym

Liked 1131 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhil View Post
I actually will not dry hop next time. May you please describe the "hop tea" method? are you extracting the hops in a smaller volume of low temperature water? I would guess that is not so effective, or am I mistaken?
Dry hopping is supposed to impart more aroma than flavour.
Making up a hop tea is more flavour than aroma.
To make a hop tea simply steep the hops in a small amount of hot water for a time. Suggested max temp is 80*C, hotter and the volatile oils may be lost. Some people use a french press (cafetiere) to do this. Member Godsdog posted recently some photos where he used a tea ball and a SS tea pot. After its stewed a while you chuck in the liquid and hops (optional) into your brew, and if the hops go in you keep them in there for a few days like dry hopping. And like everything we do on this Forum there will be variations on this.
Personally I have found a hop tea followed by adding hops to the brew is more effective than a dry hop alone, and I am slowly moving to hop teas in future.
Old 31-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #18
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png

@ThePhil still no reply to your email from Sharps?

Have a look at this thread http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...084#post648084 , forumite Jceg316 has a bottle of Sharps 6 vintage blend which is bottle conditioned. He is going to culture the yeast up and is willing to share some with you. Making the assumtion that the yeast in the vintage blend is the primary strain and not a some other conditioning strain, having the Sharps strain will get you a couple of steps closer to Sea Fury
Milk Mild/Stout
Tin Miners Ale

Last edited by MyQul; 31-01-2017 at 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot the link. duh!

Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 PM   #19
ThePhil

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hi! 😉

Sorry it took me so long to answer. We are moving right now on short hand. Really exausting.

No unfortunately they did not answer. Would really have been interesting.
Thanks for the tip! I will have a look into that link for the yeast.
MyQul Likes This 

Tags
esb, recipe, sea fury, sharps